Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Chapter 26 - Saltwater and Blood

The beach was entirely deserted. Laurent stretched out on their beach blanket, shaded beneath the sun umbrella, propping himself up on his elbows. Cinnamon was passed out beside him, her fur still drying. He'd immensely enjoyed watching Lily chase her around, the two of them frolicking. Her laugh still echoed in his ears, brining a small smile. She was a bright light, and being around her cast everything else into shadow.

Just out past the breaking waves, her head bobbed up before disappearing again. He fought the urge to join her. If she came to harm, he'd know. Their blood tied them together now. It's how he'd felt her panic last night.

A low growl simmered in his chest. He clenched a fistful of sand beneath the beach blanket and squeezed. If anything had happened...

He'd been reckless, too focused on getting to Zola back to think of the consequences. Leaving Lily alone in the manor with no one but Vittorio and a few guards scattered about the grounds. He'd made too many mistakes recently.

Lily dove beneath the water's surface, disappearing. The urge to be near her overpowered the urge to give her time alone. He sat up and ran a hand over Cinnamon's belly. The pup barely stirred. He discarded his T-shirt and swam out to her.

She caught sight of him and smiled, treading water. "You look out of place," she called.

"I can assure you, I am a strong swimmer."

They drifted close.

"Oh yeah?" A wicked expression crossed her features. She surged towards him, using his shoulders to dunk him under the waves. He found himself laughing as he broke free of the surface. Laughing. When was the last time he'd laughed like this?

He caught her, pulling her flush against him. "That was very naughty, little flower."

She giggled, pushing against his chest. He refused to let her go. The sandy bottom crept up beneath his feet.

His gaze darted to her mouth, to the heart shaped bow of her upper lip, before traveling lower yet. Her pulse fluttered at her throat and her scent changed. His heart kicked up a notch. "Little flower, stop that. I can smell your arousal. You're making me hungry."

Her eyes went wide. "Already? How...how long does blood last when it's taken?"

He hesitated. "Mine will last you weeks, depending on how much I give you."

She licked her lips, and he found himself wanting to do the same, wanting to taste the salty sea on her. "Will something bad happen if I have it more often than that?"

A low laugh rumbled his chest. "Are you asking what I think you are?"

Her cheeks flushed red, stark against her pale skin in the cold water.

"You may feed from me whenever you wish. There will be no consequences. My blood will make you strong and healthy. Even keep you from aging. No negative effects other than your addiction to me."

And fuck, but he loved the sound of that. What would it be like, to have Lily Shaw addicted to him? To have her want him regularly?

"Oh..." Her pupils dilated. "And for you?"

"Amplifier blood has only ever lasted me a day or two."

She squirmed but he tightened his hold. "I don't like that."

"Like what?"

"The thought of you drinking from other amplifiers."

"They're all dead. No need to fear your competition."

"Laurie!" she hissed. "I don't like the thought of you drinking from anyone. Is it...is it always like this? Like sex, basically?"

He huffed. "No. That was intentional. I can make it feel good for my donors, if I choose. Think of my bite as a way into your body. Just as I could go in and search out memories in your mind, so too can I manipulate your pain and pleasure receptors. I could make it hurt, make you scream in agony, or I can give you so much pleasure you combust in a completely different way. I can use my power to immobilize you, make you limp and helpless, placing you entirely at my mercy. When you agreed to give me your blood, you were giving me permission to access your body, whether you realized it or not."