Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter 31 - Saint Viggo's Cathedral

Laurent reappeared in our room late that evening. I'd retired earlier and curled up on the chaise beside the balcony with one of the books I'd brought. "Little flower," he murmured, eyes darting over me. I found myself doing the same, searching his empty arms for a tray. I'd come to love the quiet moments we shared at the end of each day, when he prepared something just for me.

He strode across the room without saying a word. I sat motionless, a fly caught in his web. A shiver raced over me as he threaded his fingers into my hair, leaning down, tilting my face towards his. "I thought we might try something a different tonight, if you are amenable?"

"Oh?" The word came out breathy.

His pupils flared. He kissed me, the motion of his tongue slow, lazy, but possessive. Like he hadn't a care in the world but to sip on me like a rich wine. I sighed, luxuriating in the taste of him. I was amenable to whatever he wanted.

He sucked on my bottom lip, capturing it between his front teeth. I held my breath. Something tugged, deep in my belly.

"May I take you out for gelato? There's a place down the street, a short walk. Just you and I."

"A date?" My stomach swooped.

"Hmm. Yes." He disentangled his fingers and stood, staring down at me. I barely had the fortitude to grope blindly for my bookmark, setting my book aside; I couldn't take my eyes off his face. "What do you think?" he asked, sounding...almost shy.

"Yes," I breathed.

He gave a nod, then reached for my wrist and gently tugged me into motion. "Cinna is with Vittorio. He'll keep her until later." He eyed my dress, deciding. "It's a temporate evening. You should be fine."

I nodded, excited by the prospect of a walk.

My heart quickened as we emerged out onto the street. Big town houses like Laurent's rose up along both sides of the street, accessible by canals along the back. It was nearing ten at night, and the city was alive. People passed in groups, shouting and laughing. Laurent kept an arm around my waist, holding me against his side. I slipped mine around his, smiling.

A date. I could almost convince myself we were a normal couple, out for a stroll. That the complications bringing us together had never happened. Laurent pointed out businesses and storefronts as we passed, cute shops selling everything from clothing to perfume, jewelry, and more. There were law offices, restaurants, bars, even a dance studio. I loved Genia immediately.

Braxton was the only big city I knew, but it was new and developed. Nothing like this, oozing with history. We slowed near a window where I peered into a bookstore, closed now, its lights dimmed. The display showcased beautiful editions on clear acrylic stands. Laurent leaned in, kissing my temple as I studied them, more interested in me than anything else.

We continued down the street. I stole glances at him. His gaze darted back and forth, constantly in motion. He tensed several times. Occasionally, he offered a small nod of greeting—other vampires he spotted in passing. I'd gotten better at recognizing them.

The sweets shop we entered smelled of fruit and sugar. A glass display of fine chocolate occupied one area, brightly colored candies lined another wall, floor to ceiling in various dispensers, and in the back section, stood a whole refrigeration counter with flavors of gelato.

I froze, taking it all in. My hands clasped in front of me, mostly to keep myself for reaching towards the nearest brightly colored display holding suckers in various animal shapes. I was nearly bouncing with excitement.

This wasn't something I'd been allowed in my childhood—expensive candy. Yet another thing I missed out on. This seemingly normal experience. To me, it felt sacred and I didn't care that the excitement I felt was, perhaps, a bit much for an adult.