Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 30 - Flouril

The jet's engine lulled me in and out of consciousness. I was stretched out on the sofa opposite Laurent, sitting at a table with his laptop and three others: Hassan, Marco, and Vittorio. The low hush of their conversation didn't reach me. Other members of Laurent's family sat scattered about the jet. The rest would take commercial and meet us in Flouril in the coming days.

I still didn't know exactly how many people belonged to House Sarkas. I vaguely remembered Vittorio mentioning something in the hundreds. Basically, a lot.

My eyelids drooped, the sight of Laurent going in and out of focus. I liked that I could see him from where I snoozed. I was groggy and exhausted. The past twenty-four hours had been a blur of training and last minute packing.

I'd gone to bed late, dripping with exhaustion. Laurent had come with hot chocolate and another plate of snacks, scones this time. I'd expected him to stay, hoped for a repeat our activities from the night before. I'd spent the entire day lost in a dreamy state of fantasy. Instead, he'd excused himself ten minutes after dropping by, leaving me disappointed.

I'd sat there alone, reassuring myself that it wasn't me. He'd wanted to stay. The tender way he kissed me suggested it, but he had a household to run and last minute matters to complete before our departure. I refused to take it personally, despite the inclination.

Sex had been significant for both of us. Unexpected, too. Not just because of what Zola had warned me of or what I'd witnessed in his memories, but because of the things it had done to me. A door in the recesses of my heart had been thrown wide open. I'd never known love. Never had someone who cared for me long enough to love them, except Ania, but that was a sisterly love.

This thing burning inside me was passionate and frightening and...dangerous. I'd taken Zola's warning and tossed it out the window. Something told me I'd regret that later...

"Lily," a voice murmured, accompanied by the light brush of fingers across my cheek. My eyelids fluttered open to find Laurent crouched beside me, his gaze darting over my face. My first look at him was like a punch to the gut. The softness in his expression put me in a chokehold. He caressed my cheek, tucking a lock of hair behind my ear.

"I hope I don't have drool on my face," I mumbled, snuggling deeper against my pillow. Someone had tossed a blanket over me—

"Beautiful, even if you do have a little," he teased, his thumb brushing the corner of my lips before he leaned in and kissed me there. My belly flopped. His jet was full of vampires; I could feel their eyes on me—on us. Yet, he acted as if no one existed but me.

"Can I get you anything?" he asked. "We will be landing soon. Something to drink perhaps?" My belly curled with heat. He chuckled. "Not that sort of drink, little flower, but soon, after we're settled."

"Good," I said, wrestling to sit up. He helped me, then got onto his knees, pressing mine apart to position himself between my legs. His head tilted upwards to look at me. He rested his forearms on the cushions, caging me between his arms. I looked him over, the black button down stretched across his broad shoulders, fitted to hint at the bulk of muscle beneath. My gaze tracked down to his belt and slacks, also perfectly tailored. I knew he was still in his dress shoes too, even if I'd kicked my own shoes off to go barefoot while flying.

The corner of his mouth tipped up. He noticed me checking him out.

I wasn't sure what we'd find in Flouril, but whatever it was, we'd face it together. "We should both be at our strongest for this," I told him, explaining away my desire for his blood, as if it had nothing to do with my wanting him.

"We will be," he said. A hesitation, and then, "Did you sleep all right?"

"Mmm-hmm," I mumbled, lifting my arms to stretch. The blanket fell away and my back arched. Laurent's eyes flared, tracking my movement, lingering over the straps of my tank top and exposed chest.