Wattpad Original
There are 25 more free parts

Chapter 9 - Dinner Preparations

Vittorio lifted his gaze as I walked into the kitchen. "Miss Shaw, good afternoon."

"Hi, Vit. I...what is all this?" I surveyed the island.

Vittorio leaned against the counter, doing the same. "Ingredients, Miss Shaw. For dinner tonight."

"That's...a lot of stuff," I pointed out. "You know I don't eat all that much." I grinned at him. He merely lifted an eyebrow.

"Master Laurent requested dinner in the dining room this evening."

"Is he having friends over?"

"No, Miss Shaw. Household only. Has Zola found you something to wear?"

I choked. "Uhm. Me? But..."

"You are expected to be there as well."

My mouth opened and closed as I came to terms with this. Again, my eyes darted over all the ingredients. What would it be like sitting around a table with vampires? I hadn't yet met everyone in Laurent's household. Would they look at me like dessert? Or would they be like Laurent? Consider me a useless human waste-of-space. The thought of sitting around a table them—with Laurent—left my skin tingling with anxiety.

"Can't I just eat in my room? I'm not part of his little vamp club."

Vittorio huffed. "You are part of House Sarkas now, Miss Shaw. Part of the family."

Part of the family.

Me?

My chest fluttered. Except, despite how nice those words sounded, they were a lie. Still, I swallowed and nodded. There wasn't any point in arguing. Not with Vittorio.

I rubbed my palms against my leggings. Zola still hadn't taken me shopping. I'd been here five days now and was still in the clothing she'd scrounged up for me. She promised to take me once my bandage was a bit smaller.

"So, do you need any help?"

Please say yes. Please say yes. Please say yes.

Vittorio eyed me. "That bored, hmm?"

"All I've been doing is reading," I groused. "I know you don't really need it but...please Vittorio. Help a girl out."

"Can you cook?"

I made a noise in my throat.

"I mean, I'm not awful." He narrowed his eyes. "Okay, I'm not at your level, but I do enjoy it. Besides, look at all these veggies here. How about you put me on scullery maid duty or something."

He made a noise that almost almost counted for a surprised laugh.

"Scullery maid, indeed. Fine, Miss Shaw. Get started on the salad." He turned into a blur, moving around the island, until about ten seconds later, he'd siphoned off a stack of items that were all intended for the salad. "Knives are over there."

I stalked over to the block, looking over my options. I grabbed a large chef knife and waked around the island.

"Wait, I can't kill a vampire with one of these can I?" Vittorio's head whipped in my direction. "Hah! Kidding, Vit. Well, actually, sort of? What does it take to kill one of you."

"A bit of garlic, holy water, and a stake," he deadpanned. "Bonus points if you have a cross."

I stared at him, blinked, then burst into laughter.

"That's a joke. You just..." I laughed harder, clutching at my side with my free hand. He was so serious. I'd never seen anything of the sort. But it was a joke, and a good one at that. "Zola told you, didn't she?" I managed as I calmed down.