Ch. 11 - Marco and Brownie

It was nearing the later afternoon and Marco was getting ready to go out. Ace and him had decided to go for a walk after Ace was done working today. It had been raining the past weeks and it was finaly a clear day so they were making use of it.

Marco had already put Brownie's guiding harness ready at the side to take with him and was now getting the normal leash. He clicked it to the collar and picked up the harness to just carry it himself while going out. He never used the harness, that was for Ace to use on Brownie when the dog was working. Now it was just a normal walk and Brownie could act like any dog. Just wagging his tail and sniffing around, stopping wherever he wanted to sniff more and pee.

Even if Brownie was free now, he was still a very well behaved dog, never pulling at the leash on purpose. However, not far from the house, Marco didn't realise Brownie stopped at a pile of leaves to sniff it and the leash pulled a bit. Even though Brownie was instantly following again, closing the distance, the leash suddenly dangled at Marco's side uselesly.

"huh?"

Lifting the leash, without a dog attached, he blinked at it, reaching for the end of it.

"It broke?"

Inspecting the item and noticed the clip wasn't working. The little iron part that you pulled down to hook it into the collar wasn't working. It usually sprung close if you let go but... it didn't. He could open it and manually close it, but it just fell back open when he let go. Did the spring break????

A little nudge to his leg made him look down, seeing Brownie sitting down next to him, wagging his tail as he saw Marco look at him.

With a smile Marco reached to pet the dog's fur, the tail wagging even more, "Good boy-yoi. What a good thing you're trained so well. This was your chance to just run." he chuckled lightly. He knew Brownie wouldn't run away, would at least return the moment he called for him. But they did need to cross some busy roads and he would just feel safer having the dog on a leash to keep him close... and let's not forget the law that he needs a leash.

He was in a little debate with himself on what to do, the normal leash was broken, he couldn't fix it in the middle of the street. The pet shop was out of his way right now and going back home for another would take a while, and Ace was done working soon, he didn't want to be late. He did have the harness... but that wasn't his to use... But... the safety of Brownie........

In the end he decided to put it on, he knew how it worked, having put it on plenty of times while Ace was getting his jacket on. It just felt safer. He could make sure Brownie didn't run into traffic and they wouldn't get into trouble with the law.

The dogs demeaner however instantly changed, he looked a lot more professional, concentrated.

Crouching before the dog he grabbed his face, so fluffy! "you're free Brownie, no working, free" He tried to tell the dog, laughing when his face was licked. "Welp, let's try this."

And started to walk, the dog staying close to his side. Marco was really impressed, he never really walked with Brownie like this, but he felt the guiding aspect clearly. Whenever someone was nearing from the opposite directing, Brownie would avoid them by moving to the side as they walked, OfCourse tugging Marco follow with him. It wasn't anything abrupt like the dog thought of it at the last second, no, it was really thought out, it was just a gently change of path over time.

The same would also be done with lightpoles and signs, "You're a really smart dog Brownie" Marco awed, giving some pets with his free hand.

Everything was going okay, the only little struggle having been crossing the street. It wasn't really a designated place to cross the street, there were no crossings nearby so he had to. But Brownie didn't want to just let him cross. Or specifically... didn't want to let him cross without enough time.