SIX

Aerith met Cloud, Jessie, and the others out in the courtyard. They were near the main gate loading Drake's truck with supplies while they talked and repairs to the fort continued. The air was filled with sounds of hammering, welding, and more, and some of the men waved as they kept an eye on the former Shinra soldiers who'd been taken prisoner in the battle and who were now helping with the work. And overhead on the hill above the fortress was the mako reactor, with the condor sitting on top in its nest as it ignored the whole ruckus.

Jessie was smiling at Cloud. "Ready to go?"

"Of course, Jessie," he smirked faintly. "I'm always ready."

"Don't I know it!" she teased.

Aerith grinned in spite of herself, amused at the way those two got along and happy that they'd grown so close. As she watched Cloud and Jessie, her resolve to accept the fate that lay ahead of her grew firm. No more doubts troubled her. Cloud and Jessie were still developing their complicated relationship, still learning about each other. Not entirely a true couple yet, but much more than friends. Aerith could see the love in Cloud's eyes whenever he looked at Jessie, even if he couldn't yet put it into words. She knew he would someday, though. And she wanted to give them a chance at the happiness they deserved.

When Edywn joined them outside with Samuel, Biggs, Wedge, and Lena, Aerith sighed bitterly, knowing in her heart that this was the last time she would ever see them. With an effort, she slipped on her usual warm smile to hide the pain as she'd so often done, waving to everyone as she, Cloud, and the others all got ready to leave.

After Jessie had said goodbye to Lena, Aerith took her turn, giving her a gentle hug as she sat in her upgraded wheelchair. "Well, looks like this is it, Lena. Hang in there, okay? You'll be fine."

She returned the embrace. "I will. Be careful out there, Aerith. And come back safe when you can. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too," Aerith murmured. More than you know.

When she said goodbye to Edwyn again, this time more restrained since they weren't alone, it was all Aerith could do to keep herself from rushing into his arms and holding him tight. But she did put a hand on the left pocket of her jacket where she had put the brooch he had given her. He nodded, his eyes telling her what his words couldn't. Hers gave him the same message, reflecting all the care, tenderness, and affection she felt for him. Aerith gazed longingly at Edwyn and let the memories of the week they'd spent together fill her heart.

Laughter, fun, passion, tears... they'd shared them all. Aerith didn't want to go. But she had to. If she didn't, her friends would die. She had to be the one, had to take their place so they could have the lives they'd always been denied before. Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge. Even though that meant losing her own. But she didn't mind, knowing it would allow her to save theirs. She watched Biggs and Wedge share a fond farewell with Jessie and then Barret before they turned to her.

"Bye, Aerith," Wedge hugged her.

She smiled. "Bye, Wedge. Look after Lena for me, okay?"

He grinned. "You bet!"

"And you keep Tifa safe," Biggs added, taking Wedge's place. "Even though I'm still gonna worry about all of ya."

"So what else is new?" Aerith teased.

He chuckled. "Take care, Aerith. See ya when you get back."

"You, too," she murmured.

After letting go of him, Aerith gazed at the guys for a moment and imprinted them on her mind, wanting to keep the images of them with her in her thoughts during the dark days ahead. She was so happy she'd gotten the chance to get to know Biggs and Wedge this time. Lena, too. Her other selves never had. Aerith kept the memories of her time with her friends close to her, missing them already.