Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Oscar's POV

September

Alana's black Toyota Camry was parking out front. I pretended like I didn't see her sitting there looking into her phone and pretending like she was taking selfies and checking herself out. Making snapchat videos of her singing along to the music in her car that she wouldn't even post to her story, she'd normally just send them all to me.

The way she'd use filters and pucker her lips and sing songs she knows I don't know because they came out while I was locked up. She'd tell me I have no taste in good music because I don't know the songs.

I could hear her speakers vibrating which was all day every day. Whenever she was in that damn car. I told her already she needs to be careful or she'll blow her speakers. She told me she already did before and Joker fixed them for her.

Then I found out it wasn't just one time she blew those speakers. It was twice. And the first time it was Sad Eyez who fixed her speakers. Now I'm stuck with the job next time they blow and she knows I'd rather just give her the cash to buy a new car.

But she refuses to take my money. No matter how much I want to help her and pay her back for all she's done for me and for Cesar she won't accept it. Most girls would take the cash and dip. But Alana fights me on it each time. I've hidden money in her car and woken up the next day to find it in my glove box or in my mailbox with a note that she sprays with her perfume. The same one she used to spray the letters she'd write to me when I was locked up.

Even though it's early in the morning, I'm working on one of my project cars. My goal? Have it up and running for Cesar before he gets his permit and the day he turns 16 it's a gift for him so he can get his license and I won't have to drive him everywhere.

Cause let's face it, that kid wants to fucking go any and everywhere. And I got shit I got to do. I can't drop doing a meet up and picking up a package because Cesar wants a ride to the movies or he wants to go to the beach with his friends.

Alana's good at doing that though. She's left her shift at work before and told Dwayne she had a family emergency because Cesar called her and wanted a ride to some fair one time and his friends wanted to go too. She picked up Cesar, Ruby, Jamal, and even Monse. Jamal said he'd never tell his father, who Alana works for, and just like how Alana is she made him promise.

No one is allowed to break a promise to Alana and she has never in her life broken a single one she's ever made.

"Promises are for life, Oscar. You can't make one and fulfill it once and then expect to never pay it forward again." She told me that when she was 15. She was wise beyond her years and that's what drew me in to her.

I knew when I got locked up and she promised me she'd watch Cesar that she'd really watch and take care of him. And she has. And still continues to do so. Even if it gets in my way and comes between her and I at times.

Walking up the driveway is her brother Ruby, from what Cesar tells me, Ruby currently thinks he can talk Cesar's way out of the gang life. But this is for life. It's in our blood. It's who we are. We're the Santos and even if Ruby wants to believe it or not, his sister is a part of this too.

"Good morning, Mr. Spooky Sir." Ruby looked like he was going to throw up or had just thrown up. Couldn't quite place my finger on which.

I sat down on a crate and pulled one up for him to sit on. He clutched the straps on his backpack and I looked over his shoulder and could see Alana in her car. I licked my lips and had to look away before I go over there and pull her out of that car and bring her inside and just keep her by my side all day.