Chapter 10

\\April 25th, 19:07\\
The Void Islands, End.
Lance

"My Lord?" My right-hand man, Capitan Kane, asks as he enters my quarters. "May I... have a few words with you? It's about—"

"Ciara?" I jump in, my eyes narrowly look at him before I look back down at my letter to the Saltborne King in regards to tomorrow's trade meeting, and how my attendance will be lacking.
I half-mindedly dip my quill in ink and feel words glide across the paper. "Ciara is quite the capable one, Capitan. You need not worry about her safety."

Kane looks dissatisfied by my answer, shaking his head, his dark hair still in place, his badges shining in the lamplight.
I prefer my soldiers to look about as presentable as I can afford while on duty, and I would award Kane for how well he follow that. With how much gel he puts in, I doubt that a hair on his head would move out of place in the most vicious display of rugged violence.

"I—I understand, my Lord," He replies before hanging his head, "however, that was not what I came in here to discuss."

I look back up at him, before directing to a seat. He sits almost as soon as I gave him the order to. He's grown a lot from the scruffy young man I found outside the fallen Pillager Kingdom, soaked to the bone and pleading for help to heal the young child in his arms. I look back down at my drying letter, almost resembling a miniature story, before pushing them off to the side. My hands fold on top of each other, as I look the man in the eye.
"As you are... very aware of... you and your daughter's safety has always been the upmost importance of the Void Isles, therefor all of the End." He questions so generically.
  I let out a small sigh, and with a small wave of my hand, a silver tea set appears, hot boiling water heating up in the pot. We've had many talks alike to this, all normally over a cup of tea, so many that I could make him tea in my sleep.
  Mint and chorus blossom tea, hot, no sugar, one cream.

  "Of course I am aware, soldier." I use my tea spoon to collect a few sugar cubes for my own tea. I grit my teeth, "My daughter will always be my top priority."

"Yes, correct," He quickly skits out, "but... from a logical perspective, m'lord, wouldn't it be wise to send a... more experienced group to lead the mission after her?"

  The teaspoon thuds against a cup with a sharp clink. I hardly flinch at the noise as I look at him. "You question the methods behind my madness?" I raise a brow. "How... cute."
  My tone change seems to shake him, like I intend. He slumps slightly in his chair, I could see his eyes craft words.
I don't break eye contact. "I don't see what you mean when Ciara's the most qualified of us all?" I remark, "She's travelled all across the Nether by your side since she was but a young teenager, participated in countless raids and defenses, and has worked herself bloody for a chance at leadership." I give the Commander a smile despite my cutthroat tone. "Who are you to deprive her of that chance?"

  "My Lord... may I be blunt?" He asks, biting his nails.

  "You do not need to ask." I lie, and he knows it. I pour the hot liquid into the two formal teacups, a bit of a dangerous hint in my voice. I lower his cup of tea down to him, placing in the tea bag for him.

  He accepts his teacup gingerly, looking out towards the window. "Ciara's brash and brazen-faced nature is what make her such a good soldier. She's confident in her skills, and pushes herself relentlessly;—" Kane takes a sip, "—however, it is also her boldness that concerns me the most for this mission."