30. Vomit in Peace

"We're leaving today. The king's got a lot on his mind."

" I understand." Davos agreed. "You gonna be okay Rina?" 

"Just leave me to vomit in peace." Rina grumbled. "Take Ezra." She added. 

"Bye mama have peace in your barfing." Ezra called out as Gendry picked him up. 

"He doesn't need to be thinking about harboring the bastard of a dead king." Davos added as they walked. 

"You don't have to worry." Gendry agreed.

"You're just Clovis, a smith who's come to pay his respects before he heads off to work at the Winterfell forges." Davos demanded.

"Jon is Rina's brother." Gendry countered. 

"Half brother and now the king. He doesnt need you stirring up trouble." Davos hissed. 

"Rina isnt going to call me Clovis." Gendry countered. 

"Boy." Davos begged. 

"Understood." Gendry grumbled as they got to the mouth of the cave.

"I have nickname too?" Ezra questioned. "Mama calls me cutie pie." 

"You are her cutie pie." Gendry agreed. 

"Begging your pardon, Your Grace." Davos remarked Jon turned towards them.

" You survived King's Landing." Jon remarked.

" Yet again." Davos agreed.

"Your Grace, this is --" Davos began but Gendry stepped forward.

"It's Gendry, Your Grace. I'm Robert Baratheon's son. Bastard son." Gendry declared and Davos gaped back at him. "This is my son, Ezra-"

" He was meant to keep that to himself." Davos hissed.

"Our fathers trusted each other. Why shouldn't we?" Gendry countered. "Besides we are family." 

"I saw your father once at Winterfell."

"I met yours in my shop." Gendry countered.

"You're a lot leaner." Jon mused.

"You're a lot shorter." Gendry agreed. Jon's smile fell before he chuckled.

" I grew up on stories about them." Jon remarked.

"All I ever knew was they fought together and won. Ser Davos told me where you're going, Your Grace, and why. Let me come with you."

"Don't be a fool. You're not a soldier." Davos corrected.

"No, but I'm a fighter. And he won't be needing a smith with a sword like that."

" Do you know how to use one?" Jon questioned. Gendry shook his head. "Well, that's a problem." Jon countered.

"I prefer a hammer." Gendry altered.

"He can handle himself." Davos assured.

"We could use the help." Jon agreed.

" As my father used to say, it's better to be a coward for a minute than dead for the rest of your life." Davos recalled.

"I owe you my life. Twice over. But if what you said is true about what's out there, I can't wait out this war." Gendry told Davos.

"Yeah. Nobody mind me. All I've ever done is live to a ripe old age."

"What did you mean when you said we are family?" Jon questioned. 

"I married your sister." Gendry answered and Jon stared back at him confused.