How To Train Your Dargon - Part 3: Axe To Grind

I dragged myself off my pillow with a groan.

"Mother fucking, hangover," I said, rolling out of bed. "Oof," I added, hitting the floor.

Picking myself up I slid a shirt over my head. I reached to pick up my crossbow before seeing the trident leaning against my workbench. I hesitated, set down the bow, and took my father's weapon.

TIMESKIP

Astrid opened her door.

"Bye, Dad!" She yelled behind her before shutting the door quickly. "Go, go, go, go, go, go." She said dragging be down her porch.

"Shit, chill, alright."

"I was already asleep when he came home from seeing my mother off and I've been hiding the hangover from him all morning."

I chuckled.

She laughed too then noticed the trident. "Woah! Where'd that come from?"

"Oh," I said, holding it up for her. "It was my dad's. Stoick's been holding onto it and he decided it's about time I get a 'real' weapon for Dragon Training."

"Cool." She said with a smile. "It's very you. Come on. I wanna get my ax sharpened before training."

"Alright. Maybe we'll see Hiccup there."

"Gods, please no."

"You're so mean."

"I'm not mean. I'm competitive and I don't like to deal with nonsensical bs. And Hiccup is the master of nonsensical bs."

"Save it for the arena, miss competitive. Changing the subject, I'd like to give you my pitch on why I deserve a second chance."

"I hate you."

TIMESKIP

"I'm just saying, I don't see how you 'accidentally' set someone's hair on fire," Astrid said as we approached the forge.

"The same way you 'accidentally' cut Snotlout open that one time and got us banned from sparing," I told her.

"That's different," she replied, rounding the corner to see Gobber and Hiccup talking. Gobber had a hammer attachment equipped and was hammering away at a sword glowing molten orange while Hiccup continuously flipped it over. "Hey! Astrid said assertively, making them look up in surprise. She held out her ax. "Can I get this sharpened?"

"Astrid!" Hiccup said, a bit of awkward panic in his voice. "Hi, Astrid. Hello there. Welcome. What can I do-"

Astrid immediately got tired of this and chucked her ax into a chunk of wood, making him shut up.

Gobber looked back and forth between the two for a moment then chuckled awkwardly. "Uh... My, uh, manly apprentice here will service all of your needs. I have to... go... get... some... I'm just gonna go..." He trailed off as he left the forge.

I facepalmed.

"Heh." Hiccup said, awkwardly, turning to Astrid and gesturing at the departing Viking. "Gobber."

Astrid pried her ax out of the wood and then... hesitantly handed her precious ax to Hiccup, who groaned as he felt the weight of it. He sorta dropped it and the edge stuck in the wood floor of the forge.

"Dude." I chuckled to myself.

"Okay. Razor sharp battle ax, coming right up." Hiccup continued, dragging it toward the grindstone.

"Ey, careful! That's my mother's." Astrid told him.

She turned and began exploring the forge. She hadn't been in here much. The only time I remember is when she used to come and watch me work while we were dating. I used to work under Gobber. Gave me something to do with the long day alone. Stoick said it gave me structure. Hiccup and I had apprenticed side by side for a while. I began looking around the shop too. It had been a while.