A Smile on Revali's Sour Face

Start from the beginning

Pik's song plays on in the background, his lyrics telling a story that catches my interest. I listen to his cheerful music to distract myself from the aftertaste of this grotty drink.

There once was a thief with tricks up his sleeve,
He'd steal your heart and then take his leave!
Oh! What a brat! With your toe-curling crime
But we can't help but love you, because you fail every time!

This is another upbeat song and I wish Pik could see for himself how many hearts he is stealing from the audience.

First, a jewel heist, so meticulously planned,
But he tripped on a wire, alerting the whole land!
Next, a grand museum with priceless art,
He dressed as a statue, playing the part,
Holding his pose but not holding his fart!
No way, you fool!
The guard plugs his nose and the cover is blown,
He's caught in the act, his plan now unknown!

The people, at least those who are actually paying attention to the lyrics, are laughing along while Pik sings the outro to his song, so much energy and glee in his voice that you can do no other but tap your foot along to the beat.

He's dancing with danger, oh, what a sight,
In his whimsical world, he's the star of the night!
From museums to banks, he tried every caper,
But fate had a way to outwit the would-be taker.

Surprisingly, I'm starting to enjoy myself. The environment is infectious, and the sense of camaraderie among the college kids here is heartwarming. It's a reminder that life isn't just about following rules and studying, but also about creating memories and sharing experiences with the people you care about.

Impa begs us to take a polaroid picture with her. She wants to hang it on the wall of the bar, for everyone to see. I have to scoot closer to Revali to fit into the picture. On the other side of the booth, Impa places her arm around Mipha's petite shoulders, posing with a peace sign as she grins into the lens. 

A quick flash illuminates our little corner, and when the picture has developed after 2 minutes of worrying whether I had my eyes open or closed, we finally get a look at the very first picture in history that captured a smile on Revali's sour face.

I suppose I found the one smile that can compete with Pik's smile, and it's so rare that this very picture should be hanging in a museum behind bullet-proof glass instead of a college town bar.

"You should keep it," Impa says to me. "As proof that going to a bar can be fun!"

"I don't need proof. I believe you and admit that it was a great idea to come here tonight."

"Keep it anyway. Put it next to the other pictures on your desk. Or write about it in your journal!"

I give her a happy nod. "Thank you, Impa! I'll keep it safe!"

In the end, I'm glad I took the chance and came here tonight. It's a small step outside my comfort zone, but it was definitely worth it. I get to see Pik play his favorite songs, Impa and Mipha are bonding over sports, and Revali smiled, even if it was just for the duration of a quick flash.

While Impa and Mipha discuss their favorite Japanese athlete, apart from Link of course, Revali and I stay quiet, having nothing to bond over.

If two people as different as Impa and Mipha can hold a natural conversation, there must be something Revali and I can talk about without making things awkward.

"Do you read?" I ask to start some small talk with him.

"Do I read?" he raises a brow. "How else would I be in college?"