3: A Palace, Tails, and Lies

===

===

With adrenaline coursing through my veins, I nearly forget about the winged demon behind me.

I am the Pillager of Twilight... ARSÈNE!! He spreads his wings, towering above us all. I am the rebel's soul that resides within you. If you so desire, I shall consider granting you the power to break through this crisis...

I smirk at him. Of course! Arsène, lend me your power!

Hmph, very well.

The tacky king cowers in front of me. Yes, yes, cower in fear!!

"W-what the hell are you...?! Guards!" He yells. "Start by killing that one!"

The guards fall back and dissolve, rising as caped jack-o-lanterns.

I fail to hold back a laugh. With all this power, what can two glowy pumpkins do to stop me?

I crouch down in preparation, bringing my hand to my face-

My soul leaves me almost instantly. A paw where my hand should have been comes too clearly into view.

"No, no no no no...!!" I whisper.

A paw!?

Frenzied thoughts race through my head. I glance briefly at Sakamoto, but a moment's all I need to see the horror in his eyes.

The pumpkin ghost shrieks suddenly, charging up a fireball...!

Rise above thy fear and detest the enemies before you! Change that animosity into power... and unleash it!

In a burst, I whip my paw to my face, concentrating Arsene's flame.

Eiha!

A black and red flame bursts from his claws and takes one of them down. Another pumpkin rushes towards me.

Swing your blade!

In a panic, I summon a knife and slash at the other one. It screeches and jumps back.

This power of mine is yours! Kill them however you want. Run wild to your heart's content!

My eyes take in the blade's gleam. Gray, slitted eyes shine back. I shudder, but shake my head. With a hasty toss of it to reverse my grip, I leap towards the ghost and slash it down. It disappears in a cloud of smoke. My mask re-forms on my face. Looking behind me, Arsene has disappeared.

To my side, Sakamoto is near frozen.

"...Sakamoto? I- It's not- I don't- I'm not-"

Who am I kidding, he thinks I'm one of the enemies! How did this even happen?! What the hell is going on?!

"I-It's ok! It's still me! I just...!" I stammer. His expression and body remain motionless.

Yeah, sure! He'll trust the guy who shapeshifted in front of him and summoned a demon!!