35 | playing with fire

Start from the beginning

Or Jaydis had planted it on my jacket.

Or it had been Kenas.

Or—

I cupped my hands under the icy streams and waited until water pooled in my palms and spilled over the edges. Another shiver ran down my spine when I splashed a good amount on my face.

All this speculating wasn't helping. While Renis and Leyn were now high on my suspect list, neither could have known when I'd left the room to head to the portal.

I could feel another headache coming on.

Nope, enough of this. I had two days to figure out how Renis and Leyn were connected to all this and the best place to start was by going right back to the beginning. Except...it wasn't quite like that, was it? I was about to party with not only my supernatural roomies but with someone I could without a doubt call my friend. And as it so happened, that friend might be able to tell me more about dear Professor Renis.

With one determined look in the mirror, I reached for my backpack and bag of supplies. Exchanging my tights and hoodie for tight-fitting all-black battle gear proved a little trickier than I had anticipated. The nylon pants and long-sleeved shirt were sturdier than they looked. The leather boots, body armor, and gloves—even more so.

I finished braiding my hair into two Dutch braids and opened a small plastic case. The little red discs floated in the clear liquid. The key piece.

With unsteady hands, I placed one on the tip of my index finger. Slowly, with the other hand keeping my eye from closing, I attempted to insert the contact lens. Naturally, I failed and nearly dropped the damn thing. It took me two more tries to finally get it right, and another three on the other eye. But the final look was most definitely worth it.

After one last look in the mirror, I lifted the black strap of the scabbard over my shoulder. The sword within was unfortunately only plastic, but it looked close enough to the real thing.

Time to confront my favorite roomie.

White fog drifted through the gloomy foyer

White fog drifted through the gloomy foyer. It barely reached my ankles, but that didn't make it any less creepy. A sense of relief washed over me the moment I pushed through the entrance doors and inhaled a breath of cool October air. The last rays of sunlight had disappeared an hour ago, but the courtyard was now illuminated by candlelit, oversized, carved pumpkins and iron lux crystal lanterns of various colors.

Whoever was responsible for this year's decorations deserved an award.

Supernaturals and humans stood in small groups conversing, filling their plates with various snacks from the buffet tables, and sipping colorful drinks from clear plastic cups.

I made my way through the crowd, stopping only to grab a chocolate cupcake with indigo dew frosting from one of the tables. This wasn't my first Halloween at school, yet, it was still both refreshing and surprising to see how difficult it was to tell humans and supernaturals apart. I'd seen at least three white-eyed people who I knew to be human laughing amongst each other by one of the punch bowls. Somehow, shifters were always the popular costume choice.