08

08 - Fleeing From Fire

HADEN

I bared my teeth at the men who dared to speak that way to my... to the rogue. My wolf was on edge - has been ever since this woman came out of nowhere, and we've been having an internal battle over her acceptance. She was nothing but a rogue, but my wolf wanted her as his, the mate bond pulling us closer and closer. I could feel the effects of it - something I had never experienced before. The idea of a mate was abandoned ages ago, yet here she was; a stranger possibly working with the man who shattered my family in pieces. Wordlessly, I watched her shoulders stiffen at my presence but she didn't turn around to look at me.

"Dismissed," I said to the men with narrowed eyes then my gaze drifted lower, "you, with me. Now."

When she didn't turn around or make any indication of moving, I grabbed her forearm, choosing to ignore the shocks that coursed through my body at the sudden contact and spun her around to look at me.

I didn't miss the way her eyes drifted down my bare chest before looking back at me. Or the hardened look in her eyes once they met mine again.

"You will listen to me, rogue," I ordered. I didn't wait for a reply, I simply dragged her with me and led us towards the house and to my office.

The room was almost dark, the sky making its transition from evening to night. Releasing my hold on her, I flipped the lights on and made a move to close the blinds before turning to look at her. Her glare shot bullets through me but I matched her energy from the opposite side of the room, both of us bombs with fuses lit, just waiting to explode. We were at war, that much was evident, and we would continue to be at war until she passed my tests. I needed to be sure she wasn't connected to the Rogue King in any way.

"You need to tell me who you are and what you're doing here, rogue."

Her glare intensified, if that was even possible.

"I'm not telling you anything,"

With a sigh, I shoved my hands in my jogging pants and cocked my head to the side as I looked at her. This woman knew how to make things difficult - a trait, I'm sure, was something that would get on my last nerves.

"I'm getting tired of playing these games with you, rogue,"

She scoffed and folded her arms.

"Games? You mean the game you played when you locked me in a cell? Or how about the game when you killed my friends for sport?"

"I already made it clear about your friends, or do you have a hard time hearing?"

The fire lit up in her eyes and she pushed herself forward with her finger pointed at me as she shouted, "Don't you dare try to make quick comebacks! Don't you have the slightest sympathy that you and your pack of wild mutts killed 2 people -"

"Do not dare call my pack wild mutts," I growled at her, taking my own step forward. Like two waves colliding, imminent destruction in sight.

"Are you feeling offended? Because the death of my friends is pretty offensive to me!"

"This is going nowhere!" I shouted, "I killed threats against my pack because that's exactly what they were - threats to my pack and my family. That might not mean much to a rogue like you but family is important to me."

"You have -"

"Who are you and who sent you here," I interjected, "two very simple questions that you find it so hard to fucking answer."