𝟎𝟏𝟖. the chamber of secrets

━━━━━━ CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

━━━━━━

evelyn felt her stomach drop as if she was falling; for a moment, everything went dark. eventually, she regained her consciousness and found herself lying on her back in a pitch black room.

"what?" she whispered to herself, lifting herself up from the damp floor. her head was throbbing, just as her heart.

evelyn got up completely, her feet laying flat on the puddled ground. she took slow steps, observing the room. it felt as if it was swallowing her every step.

"ginny?" she cried shakily, swallowing hard. "ginny!"

but her own voice simply bounced off the walls, echoing back to her. evelyn went to go run a hand through her hair, only to find her fingers smothered in blood once she did.

"merlin," evelyn whispered, feeling a lump in her throat once again. "ginny!"

"evelyn?"

evelyn's heart would have bursted out of her chest if it could have. evelyn rapidly turned around, eyeing ginny's tiny figure curled into a ball about ten feet away.

"oh, ginny!" the girl sobbed, practically sprinting to get to her. she ran and ran until she was face to face with her friend and embraced her so tightly it was as if she was trying to merge them into one.

"i'm sorry," ginny sobbed into her shoulder. "i'm so sorry. i-it was me—i didn't mean to—i s-swear— oh, evelyn, you were a-all so nice to me and i didn't want y-you to hate me—and poor ben, and hermione—i'm awful—"

"we could never hate you," evelyn responded in a hushed voice. "don't ever say that again."

"it w-was riddle," ginny pulled away, her face stained with tears. "he made me, he t-took over me!"

"you were possessed?" evelyn asked.

ginny nodded. "it was t-that stupid diary—oh, i don't even remember anything—"

"it doesn't matter," evelyn said. "ginny, what is this place?"

"i don't know," she whispered. "i-i've just been here whenever he takes over. h-he does his thing, and i wait."

"wait until he gives you your body back?"

ginny nodded.

"gin," evelyn shook her head. "i don't think this place is exactly real. it—it might be a self-conscious thing, maybe i'm in your head?"

"i'm so glad you're here," ginny began to cry again. "it's been so horrible, i just want to be normal again."

"we're going to figure this out," evelyn's own tears marked her face. "i-it's okay, harry's gone to save you—it'll be okay, right?"

but ginny only sobbed in response, her tears beginning to dampen her clothes more than the water on the floor. 

"i—i want out, let me out—i want to go home," she said repeatedly.

and evelyn could only watch her panic grow. she didn't know what this was—what to do. tom riddle had not only taken over ginny's body, but her sanity.

"ginny," she finally let out, cupping her face in her hands. "listen."

ginny's breathing slowed as she attempted to stop crying.