the heart thief - |34|

Start from the beginning

           The bedroom, separated from the living room by a flowing canopy curtain, had a king-sized bed adorned with crisp, white linens and tropical-themed throw pillows. Overhead, a ceiling fan spun lazily, circulating the warm island air. A pair of sliding glass doors took us to a private patio with lounge chairs and a swaying hammock, where the gentle breeze from the ocean felt like a caress.

           Roman flopped backward onto the bed, stretching out his arms as he stared dreamily at the ceiling. "It's comfy," he declared with a contented sigh.

           I grinned, my eyes taking in the room. "Is it?"

           With a mischievous glint in his eyes, he propped himself up on an elbow, looking at me playfully. "Should we put it to the test right now?"

           I chuckled and walked around the room, resisting his playful advances. "Stop tempting me. We have to unpack and explore the island."

           He groaned. "Exploring can wait. We could put this energy to better use. What do you say, Em?" He tossed a pillow my way, and I caught it before returning it.

           I chuckled as I walked closer to him, and he sat up, curling his arm around my waist. I studied his face, taking in the details and committing them to memory. "On the flight here, while you were sleeping, Isaac mentioned something to me."

           Roman's curiosity was piqued as he tilted his head, urging me to continue. "Yeah?"

           With a nod, I replied, "He offered me a job in his new hotel." The offer had caught me off guard, especially when I saw the job description and salary in the contract. It was too tempting to decline. Besides, there was no way I was ever going back to Harley Enterprises. I had closed that chapter.

           His smile was small but pleased. "What do you think about it?"

           "It's one hell of a job description." I grinned with excitement. "Too sweet to turn it down. You don't mind?"

          "I'm okay with whatever you decide to do. Your decisions are yours alone."

           "Yeah, but doesn't mean you'd be okay with it."

          "Do you want me not to be?"

           I playfully teased him. "Maybe I expect my boyfriend to be a little jealous when I choose his best friend over him."

           Roman chuckled, brushing aside any notion of jealousy. "Now you're being dramatic. It's just a job. You can work anywhere as long as it's within the city. I'm happy Isaac gave you a job. He's looking out for you. I told you when he senses loyalty, he gets clingy." His fingers traced gentle patterns on my waist as he continued, his gaze locked with mine. "You deserve it, Em."

           I leaned in close, our faces mere inches apart, and my fingers gently traced the contours of his cheek. "I know." His hand found mine, fingers entwining with mine as he smiled affectionately.

           Roman's lips brushed gently against my cheek, and my breath caught in that familiar, heart-fluttering way. His hug tightened around me, pulling me closer into his warmth.

         "Roman?" I whispered softly.

          He continued to stroke my arm, his touch sending tingles down my spine. "Hmm?"

           I nuzzled even closer to him, finding peace in his arms. "Is your dad still upset?"

           His hand paused at my waist, and he pulled back slightly to meet my gaze. "What makes you say that?"