▫️ Thirty-seven

Depuis le début

"I'm fine ma'am," he looked at me before replying, his tone so formal and that made mama smack his hand playfully.

"What did we agree about that?" Papa greeted me in the midst of their exchange and joined me in watching them.

"I'm not in any pain, Olive." Mama smiled so broadly as she patted his arm and that made papa clearly his throat as he walked towards them.

"Good afternoon sir," Grey pulled out his hand for him to shake and after some intense staring, papa shook hands with him.

"You're better now?" Papa pulled on the conversation and that made me exchange a small smile with mama.

They were getting along just fine.

"Yes sir," papa nodded along and then patted his shoulder. The two were almost of the same height, Grey just being an head taller.

We smiled at them, mama gushing over how the two looked like brothers which was a bit exaggerated but they did look similar in some aspects.

Mama then started to lead us in but I held her back when Grey darted back to the car to get the presents he had brought.

"Ellie, are you staying the night?" Papa asked when Grey emerged with two large carrier bags in both hands.

"No, no - those are gifts." Both of my parents exclaimed at the same time as they turned to look at me then back at Grey.

"How is all that a gift?" Papa mumbled in surprise, mama shushing him up when Grey was in hearing range.

"These are for you," Grey motioned at the bags as he presented one to mama and the other one to papa.

"Grey, you were supposed to be our guest." Mama peeked through the first bag and a smile instantly formed on her face.

She looked at the contents of the other bag next and I noticed her exchange a look with papa.

Mama took the bags from Grey thanking him continuously for the gifts as she assured him that he didn't have to bring anything next time.

From the corner of my eye, I saw his face brighten for a second. Next time. As if he could feel my gaze, he turned towards me and smiled.

Papa quickly helped mama carry the bags into the house and I watched the smiles on their faces, a foreign feeling running through my body.

I hugged Grey as soon as he came to stand beside me and thanked him for what he had for us today, the efforts he had put in.

"You're really the best and I love you," I whispered into his chest, his body leaned over and hands tightly wrapped around my waist.

"I'm head over heels for you sweetheart," he kissed my hair and held me closer as I listened to the beating of his heart that mirrored my own, super fast.

I pulled away involuntarily when mama peeked through the door after realizing we were not following behind them.

She wriggled her eyebrows at me when Grey wiped something from lips, fixed my hair and kissed my forehead.

I shyly let her watch us before Grey was done and then we all walked in, mama giggling behind us.

Grey and I sat on side of the sofa while mama sat at the opposite side looking at us curiously.

"How has everything been?" She finally asked after eyeing us and Grey replied, telling her that we had been fine.

"Did you feel so lonely at the hospital?" Grey shook his head telling her that his friends and family came to visit him everyday.