S2-Ep. 4.4 (R) - The Adventure Begins!

Start from the beginning

Fiona gives Headmaster Pierce a hopeful look while Inez and Ava give her a side-long glance as if she'd just abandoned them before the job had even begun.

"Fiona?" Headmaster Pierce tilts his head as he levels his gaze at her. "Does the idea of mingling with important people at a fancy party not excite you?" he asks.

In all seriousness, Fiona replies, "I would rather shove bamboo shoots under my fingernails."

Headmaster Pierce suppresses a chuckle. "Well," he says, "since that's a particularly painful form of torture, if I were you, I'd opt for the party." He arches a brow. "Now, why don't we focus on some of the specifics, shall we?" He shuffles his papers looking for the notes he wants to focus on first. "We need to discuss Enchanted party protocol."

Fiona sinks into her chair with a low groan. This is so not the kind of mission she'd signed up for.

***

After the briefing, the girls pour out of the Headmaster's office. Patrick is hanging outside, in the hallway, leaning against a pillar, just out of sight. As the girls pass, he leans in and whispers...

"Ava!"

Ava turns to see Patrick motioning for her to come over. "Hey!" she replies. "What's up?"

"Did you get your mission assignment yet?" he asks.

"Um, yeah. We just finished up," Ava says.

"Where are you headed?" Patrick keeps probing.

Ava gives him a quizzical look. "We're going to the capital of the Enchanted province."

Patrick continues to interrogate her. "And when do you leave?"

"Patrick?" Ava tilts her head and her eyes narrow. "What's going on? What's this all about?"

"Ava," Patrick replies, trying his best to hide his anxiety. "This is really important. When are you leaving and how are you getting there?"

"We're... uh, we're leaving later today, and we're taking the train," Ava stutters. "Patrick. You're scaring me. Seriously, what's going--"

"Ava! I'll tell you about it later, okay?" Patrick starts to back away. "I promise. But right now, I gotta go!"

***

Jake is in his room, lying back on his bed, reading Harry Potter when there's a knock at the door.

"Come in," he calls out.

He tears his gaze away from the page and looks up to see Patrick standing in his doorway. He sits up and sets the book aside. "Hey, man. What's goin' on?"

Patrick steps inside and closes the door behind him. "I really need your help," he says.

Seeing the look on Patrick's face, Jake's smile morphs into a look of concern. "Sure, what's up?"

Patrick pulls out a desk chair, swings it around backwards and sits, facing Jake. He rubs his palms on the thighs of his jeans and stills his anxiously tapping leg. Inhaling deeply, Patrick meets his friend's gaze. "I saw him," he says, his voice shaky. "I saw Stephen... on this last mission. I saw him and I..." his voice hitches and he clears his throat, trying to regain a measure of control. "And I spoke to him," he finishes, "I actually spoke to him, Jake."

Knowing what this means to Patrick, Jake slides to the edge of the bed. He leans in and rests his elbows on his knees. Eyes crinkling with concern, he quietly asks, "And how was he?"