Chapter 53: A Slow Recovery

The cool breeze from the open window was lovely, and the birds chirping in a nearby tree sounded like a beautiful melody. Kakashi stirred beside me as he rested his head by my waist. I slipped my hand carefully underneath his own to not disturb his rest. He didn't want to return home yesterday so he could stand guard with Kena and Kane. Kena went to the lab across the hall to create a medicine to speed up my recovery. Kane went home to tell everyone of my return.

This day will get busy as soon as everyone hears the news of my return. The endless parade of visitors will start pouring in by this afternoon. My mental game hasn't been exemplary since hearing the death of Lord Third. It was concerning because our enemies knew and could attack at any moment. The constriction of my heart was painful as tears ran down my face. I should've been there to stop Orochimaru! A hand smoothed over my cheek, wiping the tears away. I tilt my head down to notice Kakashi strongly staring at me.

"Don't cry. I'm here for you." He reaches his hand over to pat my head.

I slowly smile, "Thank you."

Kakashi sat beside me on the bed and drew me into a hug. A pressure settled on my head, "Try to focus on your recovery and I'll be back later."

"Where are you going?"

He withdrew to glance down into my eyes, "I'm meeting up with Sasuke by the tea and sweet dumpling shop." My hands began to shake showing the nervous tension running through me. Good grief. I need to get a grip. Kakashi laid his hand on top of mine, "You're safe now."

"I wish my body would get the memo," I half-heartedly laughed.

Kakashi hums in thought and then snaps his fingers, "I have something that'll help you. I'll bring it tomorrow. For now, I have to leave." The door opens with Kena on the other side so she moves for Kakashi to leave. He walks out as she walks inside to shut the door behind her. She retrieves a vial from her lab coat pocket and shows the content. The light blue liquid glowed as the sparkles simmered inside.

"What does it do?"

She sits on the roller stool and moves in close, "This is pure Divine chakra that'll help you regain what you lost. It'll also help heal physical injuries. There are side effects if you drink this raw form of chakra." I nod for her to continue and she sighs, "Your chakra will boost into overdrive making you hyperaware of your surroundings. This could make buried abilities come rushing to the surface which can cause physical pain like headaches and exhaustion."

"I understand the risk," I held my hand out.

She places the vial inside my hand, "I'm keeping you inside the hospital for further observation. You're showing signs of PTSD and this must be dealt with immediately."

I drank the liquid and set the vial on the night table, "I'll keep that in mind. How are Dai and Zen doing?"

"They are staying inside the house for now since Lord Third died. Danzo is capable of taking Dai or Zen if we let our guard down."

"Tell me what have I missed?"

She groans, "This could take a while."

"It's not like I'm going anywhere."

Kena explains the current state of affairs like Naruto leaving with Jiraiya in search of Tsunade so she could fill the Hokages seat. Orochimaru had lost the use of his arms because of the reaper's death seal a parting gift from Lord Third. The Village Council received news that the third Kazekage was murdered by Orochimaru. Everyone was rebuilding the village at a good pace and the guards were low-staffed. This meant that anyone could walk inside the village like the Akatsuki or enemy nations.

I pinch the skin of my throat, "I have a bad feeling about the gates. They need more guards to fortify the safety of the civilians."

The door whips open with Guy crying like a baby, "YOU'RE SOOO NOBLE! EVEN FROM YOUR HOSPITAL BED, YOU'RE THINKING ABOUT THE SAFETY OF THE VILLAGE!!" He thrusts the bouquet of tulips near my face with so much enthusiasm.

I take the flowers and smile, "Thanks, Guy. How is Lee's recovery going?"

He sits in the chair, "It's been a struggle for him. I'm hoping when Lady Tsunade comes she'll be able to perform a miracle."

"I wish the best for Lee but there will come a time when aiming high will come at a cost." A sudden pain in my head made me gasp as my vision began to flash white. A scene became clear it was of Kakashi, Kurenai, and Asuma fighting against Itachi and Kisame inside the village near a bridge. This waterway was the mainstream that flowed underneath the wall. Asuma and Kurenai had their eyes closed and Kakashi had his sharingan eye open for any genjutsu attack from Itachi. This isn't good. I'll have to send Guy for a quick rescue operation. The throbbing began to dissipate and my vision returned to the present. Kena's brow wrinkled with concern.

Guy bounced to his feet, "Are you okay?"

"I'll be alright. There is something I need you to do without asking questions. It's an emergency."

He nods, "What would you have me do?"

I grab a paper and pen to draw directions, "I need you to go to this location for a quick rescue operation. Kakashi, Asuma, and Kurenai will be there fighting the Akatsuki members Itachi and Kisame. You need to be quick or they could die."

I handed him the piece of paper and he stood to open the window. He salutes, "I'm on my way to save my eternal rival and friend." He jumps out wasting no time heading to the location. I punched the mattress and yelled, "Dammit!" I hate being weak! I can't protect people in this state! I need to become stronger!