Chapter 13: Pretty Boy

Start from the beginning

"Or maybe I am wrong. I don't know, he was just...it was weird," Archie said.

"You are a smart man, if you think that he was... then he must be." Sir Christian cleared his throat before speaking again. "Prince Kenric is not going to be happy when he hears of this. God save King Alfred's demon spawn."

"You cannot tell him," Archie replied instantly.

"Huh? But he—"

"Please, Sir Christian, please do not tell Kenric about what happened," the stable boy all but begged. "He has more important matters to deal with right now, and the last thing he needs to worry about is me. Besides, it is not an issue, I am sure he was merely teasing me. You know how some nobles like to mess around with servants for fun, do you not?"

"Archie..."

"I want Kenric to mend the relationship with our neighbors, not make it worse," Archie added, making the knight sigh as he pinched the bridge of his nose as if contemplating what he was saying. Archie was right, this was bigger than just the two of them.

"I do not think there is anything more important to him than you, but fine. I will not say a word to the prince, this is between the both of you anyway." Archie parted his lips to thank the knight, but he spoke up again to cut him off before he could even start. "On the condition that you let me keep an eye out for you. I do not...I do not trust Prince Edward. Both him and that devious father of his."

"He was a little forward but he seemed like a nice enough man," Archie said, causing Sir Christian to scoff.

"You always see the good in others. Which I admire, I really do, but that is not how the world is, my friend. Take my word on this, Archie, I neither like nor trust that man and I would rather not have you alone with him," the knight finished. If Archie did not want to tell the warrior prince, then Sir Christian was going to take it upon himself to protect the stable boy.

"Okay, okay," Archie raised his hands in surrender as he spoke. "If you say so. Are we not getting late to meet Ken?"

"Oh, uh," Sir Christian rubbed the back of his neck before shrugging. "He did not actually ask for you. Or us. The other stablehands told me that you were practicing so I figured that I would give you some company. Thank God I arrived in time, I could see how uncomfortable you looked and this was the only excuse I could think of."

"Oh," Archie blinked. "Well, um, thank you, Sir Chri—"

"You know, you can just call me Christian. Or Chris," the knight said.

"But you are a knight!"

"And also your friend," he retorted casually. "Besides, Prince Kenric is a prince yet you call him by his name. So why not me?"

"That is different," Archie blinked.

"How so?"

"Okay, fine" Archie muttered. The knight got him there. "I'll call you Christian when it is just the two of us."

"Splendid," the man grinned as he wrapped an arm around Archie's shoulder. "Now! Are you planning on staying here longer? Because I hear Francis is making his infamous apple pies and we both know how much he likes you..."

"Ah, I see how it is," Archie hummed, "you did not come to give me company, but to make me sneak pies out of the kitchen for you."

"Guilty as charged."

"Let's go, then," Archie replied with a laugh as he started packing up to get ready to leave.

Archie's lack of contact with Kenric was still at the back of his mind, bugging him at best and making his heart ache at worst. But the encounter with Prince Edward, and spending time with Sir Christian was a decent enough distraction.

***

The next couple of days went by painfully slow. Archie had not spoken to Kenric since, and it was killing him inside. He was in so much anguish that he contemplated going to the prince's chambers, but with all the guests in the castle, he figured that it was not the smartest thing to do.

On one hand, he was trying desperately to meet the eyes of his prince, whereas, on the other hand, he was turning corners whenever he crossed paths with the blond royal. He seemed to run into him a lot, and every conversation with the man left Archie unnerved.

Prince Edward did not flirt as much or as openly anymore as he had done that day in the forest. Archie was grateful for that, he was not one for confrontation and he did not wish to risk hurting the feelings of a man of his stature.

Another matter was putting Archie on edge. The tournament was starting tomorrow. Even though the archery competition was not until the third day, which still gave him some time to practice, he was stressed nonetheless.

Archie faced away from the door as he lay on his side. He had spent the last few nights staring at the wooden gate as he hoped and prayed that his prince would pay him a visit. But Kenric never did. And Archie went to sleep each night feeling emptier than the last.

At the other end of the castle, Kenric was losing his mind. He had not spoken to Archie in days and every single time he tried to sneak away and go to his man, someone or the other seemed to get in his way. There were nobles from various regions, some from their neighboring kingdoms too. If not guests, then guards and servants were scattered throughout the castle, making it almost impossible for Kenric to visit his lover without getting caught.

However, Kenric refused to spend yet another long and torturous night alone. He needed to see Archie, even if just for a few moments. Once it was dark out and the castle had fallen silent, Kenric exited his chambers. He knew where each and every guard was posted, so he made his way around them to go to the stables undetected.

Just when he thought that he was close, Kenric stopped in his tracks as he saw two familiar faces in front of him. The siblings had just turned around the corner of the hallway as they ran into the warrior prince, leaving all three of them surprised.

"Kenric!" Princess Eleanor exclaimed brightly. The dark-haired man tried to pass her a smile but failed horribly. He had taken a liking to the woman in the few days that he had known her. Platonically, of course. But this was the worst possible moment to see her.

"My lady," Kenric greeted politely, before glancing at her brother who was looking at Kenric with skepticism. "Prince Edward. What are you two doing out this late?"

"I could not sleep, a walk always helps so we were heading to the garden," Princess Eleanor answered with a smile. She had mentioned her troubles with sleep and that she usually drank a potion made by her physician, but sometimes that did not work either.

"And you, Prince Kenric? Is the night not dark enough to warrant your rest?" The blond asked. Both his query and his snarky tone pissed Kenric off.

How dare the man question what Kenric was doing in his own goddamn castle? That too with such a smug look on his face? Kenric had not interacted with Edward much. He spent most of his time with the princess whereas Godric got to know the crown prince. But in the little encounters that they did have... Well, it was safe to say that Kenric was not a fan.

"I was doing rounds," Kenric lied. "One can never be too careful with security, can they? Especially when we have such important guests residing with us."

"We will not keep you, then. Goodnight, Kenric," the princess said with a light nod. Kenric sighed in relief as they started walking away. As Kenric crossed the siblings, Edward caught his arm, pulling him close to whisper in his ear so that his sister could not overhear them.

"Tell Archie I am rooting for him."