03. Plesant Destruction

EDEN.

The back of my eyelids burn as I stare at the door, the number 105 blurring in front of me. But I am not going to let this get to my head, and I am not going to cry.

They can be wrong for all I care. 

It could be a mistake, a flaw in their abilities. 

With my back turned to them, I blink rapidly.

If Mom saw the tears that are on the verge of spilling out of my eyes, I wonder what she would say.

Her resounding voice says, "Do not be weak, Rain, I never raised a weakling."

Opening the doors, I swallow. I walk back to my class without sparing them another glance. I have no idea where they are going or what they are going to do next. I just want my life to go back to how it was before they arrived. 

Piece by piece.

I move stealthily through the aisle and return to my seat, hoping to avoid being noticed. Surprisingly, nobody seems to be noticing me. I was expecting a lot of staring. Even sparking some more gossip about why my eyes are red.

But now that I am looking up, I see why. 

Every student in this room is focused on the front, where Mr. Hugo just concluded his speech. The woman, the stunning woman I saw in the hallway, comes forward, her pale hands clasped in front of her, her lips parted perfectly to show off her flawless smile of white teeth.

The words escape me before I freeze, "Oh my god."

My heart sinks to my stomach in an extremely violent way, I'm not sure I like it.

Who permitted her to look that pretty?

The audacity!

Magnificent. The sole appropriate word.

I let myself lapse for a moment into a strange fantasy in which we are the only people in the room.

 Me and her.

 As she opens her mouth to speak, I allow my gaze to rest on her pretty lips.

My throat pulses, and at the same moment, a tingle shoots through my nerve endings. I can not get over how much I want to reach out and run my fingers along her angular jawline. I bite my knuckles as I cover my mouth with my hand.

 Anything to snap me out of this.

But it's too good, and it's getting sexier by the minute. 

When our gazes lock, my face lights up. Her black eyes stay on mine for a steady moment. I bend forward and cup my arm, unconsciously massaging my bicep. 

She gives a smile.

To think that is just for my eyes alone is absurd. Even when she smiles broadly, it is as if we are sending each other a little secret message. My stomach drops as the side of her face dips. Fuck.

 I want to get to this woman's feet and tell her just how beautiful she is. 
But she knows. She admires herself in the mirror every-fucking-day.