25: Call It In

25, Call It In

25, Call It In

          "So, you're stayin' here now?"

   Hopper nods off at the large two story home behind Jen. He leans against his cop car, big tan jacket engulfing him. Jen turns, eyes falling on Steve's home. She watches the still home for a moment. It's so big her head would never be able to wrap around it. It was odd... waking up in Steve's room this morning. Looking at him as he laid soundless. Climbing over him to slip out of bed. Looking at Violet in her crib, like she was Jen's to even look at. Walking down his stairs. Looking at the photographs of a family that was torn. Analyzing the kitchen, the living room, all of Candy Harrington's home. Jen could never live comfortably in a house that big. And as she stands outside of it, she's freezing. It's too early in the morning to be awake. The morning has barely set. She hadn't planned on standing outside with the town's sheriff, but he'd shown read to seek her out. So, here she stood, cold.

"I mean, where else was I going to go."

She's only in one of Steve's sweatshirts and a pair of soft sleep shorts. There's pins and needles happening in her legs. Her socks don't do much against the cold pavement of the driveway.

   Hopper sighs, his gaze locked on the girl. Jen can't stand to look at him for too long, it makes her anxious. She stares at her sock covered feet. "It's not like I asked to be here. They told me the trailer was done. I don't have money to rent out a new one. Steve just.. offered." Her eyes move to the man. "It's not like I want to invade. This shit is complicated."

   He raises a brow. "Harrington or your dead sister?"

   She wants to say both. Because it is both. Everything is fucking complicated. But they both know she won't mean it. This isn't about her sister, not in the slightest. "I think people are mad at me." She says it's so softly Hopper almost doesn't hear her.

   The man pulls out a cigarette from the front pocket of his jacket, he lights it with ease. "Why's that."

   Jen watches the flame. She watches the smoke. "Because Steve's complicated."