20: What's New

20, What's New

20, What's New

           Death has come to Jen again, a breaking down car

           Death has come to Jen again, a breaking down car. This is the fourth time this month her car won't start. She needs a new one. But it's her mother's old car, she can't just get rid of it. The woman's dead. And she would use Alex's car, except it went missing with her. So, yes, you see the problem!

"I don't get why you just can't take it to the shops?" Jen sighs at Jim's words, she wished it was that easy. Her teeth were latched onto her bottom lip, her foot bouncing against the car floor. She hated his questions, she knew he wasn't being mean, he genuinely wanted to know.

The older man pulls up before the student parking lot, she can see teens eyes on the cop car instantly. It makes her nauseated, uneasy, though, she's done nothing wrong. She knows that. "I told you I don't have the money for that right now. Can I go now, everyone and their devil headed boyfriends are staring at me." To be fair the windows were a little tinted, and they could not see her, but she was sitting in a cop car. Came to school in a cop car. People were going to stare.

Jim scoffs, his head lolling to the side to face Jen from his place in the drivers seat. He flicks Jen's shoulder, the girl winces and looks back at him. "Ow?" Jim rolls his eyes, "what about that friend of yours? Candace? Lives across from you?" Jen sighs, "her name is Cade—"

"Just Cade?" He says it with a little bit of judgment. What kind of name is that for a teenage girl? Jen huffs, slouching more into the passenger seat. It smells like cigarettes and donuts in the front. The back smells like sweat and leather. "Yes, just Cade. And I don't hitch a ride with her because she gets to school too early for my liking and I don't like asking. Plus, her dad drops her off—she can drive. But her dad just likes taking her. I just don't want to bother them.."

"Then how come I'm drivin' you? I hear a solution with this Cade kid."

Jen looked over at the man, brows raised unamused. "You offered, you didn't even really offered. More so insisted, well, kind of forced. I was fine taking my bike." Jim hums, mind cutting to Jen's near rusted whole bike. "Fair enough."