14: Girls and Lies

14, Girls and Lies

       Jen hadn't slept well

It was tossing and turning and no peace from her dulling mind all night.

   She had gotten home last night, and Alex was at the door outside the trailer (waiting). Waiting for Jen. She's never done that before, it's always been the other way around.

   Alex spoke before Jen was even fully out of her car. "Melissa Fairwell called. You weren't at cheer practice."

   Why is she playing Mother right now?

   Jen tried to ignore the girl, she really did. She was tired and had that photo rotting in her bag. She just wanted to be alone in the silence of her shit trailer room.

"Hello? I'm fucking talking to you!"

Alex's eyes looked a little red rimmed. Jen wondered if it had been drugs or crying over the recent events surrounding the Byers'.

Jen's jaw seem to tick.

They had an audience.

   They always did. The elders, who'd seen the world burn, loved to watch the Leadison's and their loud disasters [...] and it all had started with a dead mother in a tub of grey pooling water back in February.

   "Jen!" The girl gasped as Alex's snatched at her arm, hard. "Where the fuck were you!"

   Jen's light eyes flew like bullets into Alex's skull. "Let go of me! The hell!" Jen snatched her arm away as she shoved the girl with the other. Alex tripped back a little, her backside smacking into the trailer's exterior. "My whereabouts aren't your business, and never have been!"

  Alex glared at the girl. She was gasoline. Jen was the dying trees. "I am your sister, Jen! Your older sister! I have the right to know!"

   Jen gaped at the girl, too many emotions swimming in her honey irises. "You're my sister? Since when? Since when! We are not sisters, and haven't been for awhile! Stop trying to give a shit now, because someone you finally cared about died! That doesn't change anything! You still suck! You're still an addict! And you're still a fucking liar!"

  Alex flinched back as Jen shoved the photo into her chest. "You're a fucking liar, Alex!" She seethed.

  Alex's eyes slowly looked down towards the photo before snatching it away from Jen's grasp. Alex's eyes widened and her lips parted. "Jen.."

  Jen shook her head. "You both fucking knew she was pregnant. Didn't tell anyone. Especially not Steve. You knew she'd leave and drop that kid off with him—because she's not a good person! Never has been! And neither are you! He was a kid, who had good things ahead of him! You guys ruined his life! Was that the plan?"