10: Jen, Alex, and Jonathan

10, Jen, Alex, and Jonathan

Hawkins, November 1983

       Girls can be pretty, and they can also be ugly. Jen knows.

"I heard she only hangs out with him for drugs." The laughs after those words are sinister, "I heard it's because he fucks her."

Carol Perkins is so very mean if you aren't dear to her. Carol Perkins is friends with Steve Harrington. She is a dear to Steve because they are friends.

   "You think she fucks everyone in the trailer park?" Another round of giggles, "I wouldn't be surprised. Where else does she get her attention from?"

   Jen hates the cheer team, because they all hate her, but she sticks it for the sport—she loves cheer.

    She knows that they know she can hear them, they're only a row of lockers away. Her teeth are stabbed into her puffy bottom lip, and the grip she has on her locker is a killer vice.

   "You think she learned it all from Alex?"

   They laugh more, and a tear slips past Jen's eye. Only one, so far.

   "Do you think she fucks Eddie so she can get a discount on drugs?"

   "Does she even buy drugs from him?"

   "She probably gets them for free at this point."

    At this point.

   She knows she shouldn't, but she does. She slams her locker door so loud that she nearly catches a chunk of her blonde hair with it. Her arm hurts after from the brute force. The girls locker room falls glass shattering silent. All that can be heard is one of the running showers. Her heart is beating in her ears and she tries not to heave a cry.

   The girls mumble to one another, and they move towards the exit in a slight hurry. The door is heavy when it closes and when it does, Jen's shoulders cave. Her hands hide her face and she cries.

   She doesn't hear the single shower turn off.

   "I think she's just jealous of you."

   This time, the voice doesn't scare Jen. She pulls her hands away, and wipes at her damp face. Her watery eyes meet Nancy's, she's wrapped in a towel. She holds it so close to her body that it looks apart of her. Her hair's wet in soft curls. Water drips down her collarbones. She's really pretty. Her collarbones are really pretty too.