Chapter 17 - Awkward Encounters

Start from the beginning

"Deny it all you want Williams, I know you enjoyed it," replied Emma, before grabbing my arm and leading me into school. 

Glad to see we have such a caring relationship. The feeling of nausea returned as we walked into homeroom. I cursed myself inwardly for being such an awkward person. Thankfully, Michael wasn't there yet. I immediately led Emma to two secluded desks so that no one would be able to sit near us - and, more importantly, Michael wouldn't be able to talk to me. Well, unless he walked over that is. Jessica walked in a few moments later, wearing barely any clothes considering how cold it was. She had on a mini skirt and a light sweater that showed off her orange skin. Her bleached blonde hair was fully straightened and she was wearing heels. Emma scoffed as she walked by, as if she was going down a runway. I could help but chuckle with Emma at how ridiculous she was. Seconds later, Michael walked in. He stared at me pointedly, but walked over to the back row where he normally sat.

"What was that?" Whispered Emma, referring to the look that Michael had given me.

I shrugged my shoulders, just thankful that he hadn't come over and tried to talk.

Once homeroom finished, I left as fast as I could and went to my first class. After the mornings lessons, I met up with Emma and we walked to lunch together. 

On our way into lunch hall, I walked past Dylan who was going in the opposite direction.

"Lunch time detention for talking on my phone in class," he muttered as he walked past. Emma and I chuckled. It was like Dylan was attached to his phone, and I bet anything that he had been texting Emily. After taking her to prom, they had developed this kind of unofficial relationship. I was hoping that it was only a matter of time before he manned up and asked her to be his girlfriend. We continued on our way to lunch hall, only to find that Michael and Jacob were sitting at our regular table.  Oh shit. I immediately froze mid-step. Emma stared at me weirdly.

"Seriously what is wrong with you today Soph?" She asked as she grabbed my arm and pushed me so that I kept walking. As we walked over to the table, I was thinking of anything that would get me out of having to talk to Michael. I even wished that I could swap places with Dylan and have his lunchtime detention. 

"Hello Williams," called Jacob as we sat down at the table. 

"Smith," I shot back with a smirk. Michael didn't say anything, he just sat there staring at me - making me feel even more awkward if that was possible. I avoided his gaze, and focused on playing with my hands instead. 

"Hey Soph, can I talk to you outside?" Asked Michael quietly from across the table. Oh shit. No way in Hell.

I wondered whether I could pretend that I didn't hear him, but this was impossible because everyone at the table had turned to stare at me curiously. They were probably all wondering why Michael Edwards wanted to talk to the freshman.

"Ohhhh what's going on here?" Taunted Jacob with a grin. I kicked him in the leg from under the table, and he moaned in pain and Emma chuckled. 

I realised that I still hadn't responded to Michael, and he was now just staring at me.

"Um actually Emma and I were just about to go... to... the.. uh library," I replied awkwardly.

"No we weren't. I hate reading," said Emma confusedly. This time I kicked her under the table. Wasn't your best friend supposed to help you out in situations like this?

"Hey!" She exclaimed, rubbing her leg. I shot her a glare, hoping that she would notice the pleading look in my eyes to cover for me.

Michael raised an eyebrow, his eyes flickering over me. "Outside, now," he said sternly. Emma looked over at me weirdly, and I realised that I hadn't exactly filled her in on the full extent of what had happened yesterday. She was probably wondering what on earth was going on.I shuffled my feet slightly and averted Michael's gaze. There was no way that I was going outside with him. Talking was exactly what I had wanted to avoid today.