He looked shocked and horrified. This was more information than she had ever shared with anyone. She had told Leah very vaguely but never revisited the topic. This was a massive step for Adla. Her eyes were starting to well up even though she didn't want them to. Therefore, she kept talking to avoid breaking down in tears.

"So, next summer, I got sick and couldn't travel," she continued. "Your family offered to take me in while mine went to Italy. A week later, I was back to normal. I was better when I knew I didn't have to go. That summer...was the best summer of my life." Her voice was trembling terribly at this point, but she smiled through her tears. "We were just running around, playing ball all day, and fell asleep on your floor because we were too exhausted to make it upstairs sometimes."

Adla wiped the first tears streaming down her face while looking at the floor. Lifting her gaze again, she saw Aiden's eyes meeting hers, filled with tears of his own.

"I don't know what would have happened to me if I hadn't had that summer with you and your family...your friendship saved my life," she whispered since her voice was giving out and saw the first tear rolling down Aiden's cheek.

"I know you wanted more than friendship, and I'm sorry I can't..." Adla tried to explain, but Aiden quickly shook his head and wiped his eyes.

"No," he interrupted softly. "This is all I want. Your friendship is more than enough for me."

"I don't want to lose you," Adla admitted almost desperately, her emotions more on display than she had ever allowed them to be around him.

"You'll never lose me," the young man responded quickly and firmly. "And I'm sorry for making things complicated lately. At this point, all I want is for you to be happy. You deserve it more than anyone I know. If Leah makes you happy, I'm happy for you, and that's all there is to it."

Sighing in relief, Adla couldn't help but get up to hug her best friend. He understood her gesture and welcomed her in his arms. This newfound vulnerability strengthened their bond in a way Adla couldn't have predicted. She wanted to be honest with herself and the people she trusted. To see it pay off was the best possible outcome.

Later that night, Adla had somewhat of a deja vu. She was sitting on yet another couch and was handed a cup. Only this time, it was Leah, and her girlfriend brought her some tea. After a physically tiring day at work and an even more exhausting day emotionally, Adla felt herself relax for the first time.

Looking at Leah, who sat beside her, eased her anxiety instantaneously. Their eyes met, and the tender expression from the emerald color warmed Adla's entire body. She felt seen and safe without saying a word. The brunette used her free hand to look for Leah's and intertwined their fingers. Leah smiled softly, enjoying these gestures of affection, and reciprocated by brushing a loose hair strand behind Adla's ear.

"How was your day?" Leah asked quietly.

"Work was tough, but the conversation with Aiden went well," Adla cut to the chase because she knew Leah was curious but didn't want to pry. "Actually, it was what I should have expected of him because he has always been supportive. Somehow, I doubted it."

"Then I'm glad he proved you wrong in your doubts," Leah answered with relief. "So, he knows about us and is fine with it?"

"Yes," Adla clarified. "He said he wants me to be happy, and our friendship is also very important to him. We talked about deeper things, and I believe it strengthened our bond."

"I'm so happy for you. I knew how nervous you were, and it sounds like you got what you needed," Leah expressed genuinely.

They proceeded to talk about work and other events that had occurred during the day before Leah brought up a different topic.