Shattered

shattered • reader
When an anxious day gets the best of you, Din seeks to comfort you.

§

You ran to the viewport when you heard the roaring of the N-1's engines above the cabin. The familiar starfighter was landing in its usual zone, not far from your isolated home. You exhaled in relief, though your heart continued to pound even as you made your way back to the kitchen.

The meal that was only halfway prepared remained abandoned on the counter, and your shaking hand took up a utensil to continue its half-hearted work. You forced yourself to blink a few times to refocus, but all you could see was the haunting image of the beady eyes you'd been trying to escape all day. You took another glance over your shoulder.

The door to the cabin opened and your head snapped up from the slice you were about to make. Din stepped inside with Grogu's pod trailing behind him, his helmet tilting as he let the door slide closed behind him. "Hey, cyar'ika. Sorry if we scared you." Din pointed towards the viewport you ran to before. "I was hoping you'd hear our approach in the N-1."

"Oh!" You forced out a laugh from your tightened chest. "Yeah, yeah, I did. I just..." you lifted the knife in your hand, "you know, instincts."

Din chuckled before he lifted his hands to his helmet to remove it. He set it on the table as he made his way over to you, though your gaze was fixed on the food you were preparing. "How was work?"

"It was good." The lie slipped off your tongue easily, but there was no faking the smile you earned when Din set a hand on your back and kissed your head. "How was your galactic exploration?"

"Great. Grogu did well." Din brushed his hand over your back as he answered. "We only went one system over." He gestured to the closed-up pod. "He fell asleep on the way back."

You gave your hands a rest and hoped Din wouldn't notice the way they shook. Your gaze found his as you managed your best smile for him. "Sounds like a success."

"It was." Din returned a soft smile of his own. "But you were missed." He took a deep yet gentle breath and glanced at Grogu's pod. "I'm gonna take him to his room to rest, then I'll get washed up for dinner." Din's thumb ran over your back. "Thank you."

You nodded, unable to say anything else. Now that Din was at your side, you didn't want him to leave. He made the move to step away and you grabbed his arm without thinking. Din's head whipped towards you with his brow knit together in concern.

Before he could ask any questions, you lifted yourself high enough to kiss him, one of your trembling hands pressing against his cuirass for stability. When you pulled away, Din took your hand from his beskar and gave it a squeeze, smiling as he walked off with Grogu to bring him to his room.

You exhaled a shaky breath and set both hands on the counter. Your head hung low as you tried to catch up with your racing thoughts. You wished so badly that man had never shown up at the hangar, if only for your own peace of mind. Even if he hadn't done anything other than watch you work on his ship, the grime of his stare was like a stain on your spirit.

You managed to compose yourself enough to continue making dinner, even giving Din another quick smile as he walked from Grogu's bedroom to the one you two shared. Your thoughts, however, were as relentless as the movements of the blade in your hand. Each cut was a memory and a what-if tearing across your mind and threatening to leave you in merciless shreds.

It was getting harder to breathe at the idea of Din coming home to you missing, or even worse, him coming out of your bedroom to the sight of you injured or apprehended by the very same man who had been haunting you all day.