Safety Net

safety net • deaf!gn!reader
When you and Din are reunited after a hunt that goes longer than expected, your mutual feelings for each other finally bubble to the surface—regardless of the fears you've both buried deep within.

—§—

Din has never felt so relieved to see the hunk of metal he calls home—but the Razor Crest isn't what causes Din's heart to race, or his pace to quicken, or his head to spin. Rather, it's what the Crest holds within her, the true meaning of the home he's made within the ship: you and Grogu.

Din had been so sure that this hunt would be easy until he discovered the quarry's deep connections within this town. He seemed to practically run the place, and because of that, trying to get to him meant also getting through at least a dozen others. Din didn't want to risk reaching out to you via your holotransceiver in case they somehow tracked it, but knowing he was leaving you in the dark about his fate on this hunt has caused a pit to grow in his stomach that won't be resolved until he's reassured you of his safety.

But he needs to make sure you're safe before he can even think about that.

A warm fire ignites within Din's chest when he uses his vambrace to open the hatch and makes his way into the hull. Thankfully, he already sent the bounty on their way and received his payment right on this planet, which leaves him with much more time to reassure himself of your safety—as well as Grogu's.

You're doing busy work around the hull when Din steps inside. When his shadow passes over the wall of the Crest, you look his way with wide eyes and a gaze that melts into Din's own through his visor. A stunning smile crosses your lips, one that matches Din's own grin beneath his helmet. He meets you in the middle as you come close and stand just a single step away from him. Din's never wanted to take you into his arms as badly as he does now, just getting to see that you're all right.

"I thought something happened," you sign, your gaze revealing your honesty as it sparkles with concern yet strong relief.

"No, I'm okay," Din signs back, nodding his helmet to emphasize his words. "Just a few more men than I expected."

You offer a nod in return, still smiling as Din closes the hatch behind him. When he turns back to you, he can see more of the longing in your eyes—the same thing he'd felt when the days started to get longer and longer. You go to sign again, but this time, Din can see a nervous hesitance in your movements. "I missed you."

The fire within Din's chest continues to burn, yet there's an ache that appears within it, strengthening his urge to embrace you. He holds his ground and offers his response. "I missed you, too." Din looks around, distracting himself as his visor searches the hull. "Where's the baby?"

"He's asleep. He missed you a lot."

Din looks towards Grogu's compartment—his old one—that's now closed. His helmet tilts to the side as he turns back to you. "I'm sorry."

Your brow furrows as you shake your head at him. You take a step even closer to him and sign quickly. "Don't apologize." You pause, holding a breath as your gaze continues to study his visor. When you sign again, your movements are slow and meaningful. "We were just worried."

The ache in Din's chest has become so prominent now that he can barely breathe. A short gasp nearly makes its way through his modulator as he tries to think of some kind of response. He knows his gloved hands look unsure as he responds. "Don't worry. I'll always come back." Din pauses, his hands beginning to shake due to both his nerves upon asking you his next question and his desire to comfort you beyond these words and gestures. "May I...?" Din stops his movements, looking between his frozen hands and your gaze as he tries to gain the faith to sign the words. The bounty hunter can't gain the strength to move his hands and fingers in the way he wants to—so he tries something else. Din slowly reaches out to you, his hand reaching for one of yours and gently pulling you closer to him. That becomes enough for you to know, and so with a soft smile and a desperate look of your own, you move to wrap your arms around him.