Brief Conversation

Start bij het begin

"Naturally you do not have to accept immediately. Even if you decide to deny my proposal.." The eye glowed brighter, lighting up the entirety of his brother's spirit. "I like my eternally bound souls in pairs. Take your time, child of light. Return to me when your decision is made. Until then.."  

The entity's last words faded out as the moonlight returned, the eye vanishing along with his brother's spirit.

..

.

"Are you alright, dear? You seem stressed." The little old lady from two doors down had come by the shop this morning for her usual blueberry muffin, and Dream could honestly be better. He was sure the bags under his eyes could be seen from miles away, and he was missing his usual chipper tone with his customers. Miss Bunny wasn't the first to comment on it, either. All of his regulars had expressed some level of concern, one going as far to try and convince him to go home, claiming that they'd stay and hold the fort despite not being an employee.

"I appreciate your concern, Miss Bunny." Dream forced a smile, but it barely reached his eyes. "I've just had something to think about lately."

The old bunny frowned, digging in her purse for coins. 

"Oh honey, I've told you to just call me Liz." She leaned forwards, hushing her tone. "You aren't fighting with your husband, are you?"

This took the baker off guard, a laugh being pulled out of him from the shock. 

"Oh, no, miss. Cross and I are doing just fine. It's an older family issue." He held out his hand to take the woman's payment, quickly tucking it in the register and handing back the appropriate change.

Miss Bunny looked relieved to see a more genuine smile appear on Dream's face from her sudden question, even if it faded after a moment. She gently slid her change into her bag and took the receipt handed to her.

"Well, alright. If you boys ever need anything I'm just down the hall, you know."

"Of course, miss- Liz. I'll have that right out for you." Dream turned around to the small cart he kept behind him, grabbing a small paper bag and a new glove, tucking his neighbor's muffin inside. He folded over the top and leaned over the counter to hand it to her.

"See you tomorrow?"

"You know me, dear. Thank you again- and get some rest!" She called out behind her as she left, the bell above the door announcing her departure. It wasn't much longer before the bell chimed again, Dream turning to welcome in the incoming customer. 

"Cross? I thought you were out bowling with Epic today." Dream opened up the counter's little gate to let Cross through, accepting a quick kiss from him before attending to a customer that had just walked up.

"He got tired of losing. Plus, the brat heard about your amazing banana bread." Cross smiled, grabbing a spare apron out of the back. Dream rolled his eyes, thanking the customer with a smile and turning to grab the baked goods they ordered.

"Was it them or was it the toddler I married?" He teased, his smile falling afterwards. It had been roughly a week since they'd had the encounter with the cyan spirit, and Cross seemed to be on fairly good terms with the child ghost. They'd learned their name was Chara, and their companion in the attic was Frisk. Dream had quickly gotten around their violent tendencies and with some help from modern electronics (the television), said tendencies had all but vanished. 

"Maybe a bit of both." Cross tossed a bagel at him. "Eat something maybe. Ink and Error are coming by after close, the short one let it spill and now Big and Scary has beef with the thing." 

Dream caught the bagel with both hands, leaning against the counter and taking it apart. 

"Error has beef with everything that moves. Though I take it now that he knows he wants to go down there?"

Cross nodded. 

"Yeah. He wants to go tomorrow night. Think we should tag along?"

Dream hummed, picking apart the last of his bagel.

"Sure, why not?"