Chapter 8

A/N: On the side is the trailer I made. It's the first one, so please comment what you think!

When my professor recommended we go to an event for class I did not expect it to turn out the way it did. I walk in along with several other students. There are a dozen tables scattered around the room and a podium. I sit down at a random table and wait for the event to begin. At least a hundred other students piled into the small room for this event. I wonder how many professors recommended their students to come to this.

After a few minutes someone steps up to the podium. "Thank you for coming today. I have been a fan of this person for a long time and I think you will all enjoy hearing about her latest book."

Casey quickly slips in and sits next to me. "Your professor recommended this event too?" I ask.

She nods, "Most classes do. The author wrote a book regarding college. The professors want us to attend the event because they think it'll give us insight about the college experience and how to prioritize our time."

"That's what this is?" I asked.

"Unfortunately," she confirms.

I mutter, "This will be boring then."

The author took the stage and began introducing herself. It only took a few minutes before she went into the real topic: her book. "I started this book while in college. I had a hard time adjusting to the college experience because the class schedules were completely different from high school and I had no idea how to organize my schedule so I had time for everything. I wanted to do everything. I wanted to attend parties, join a sorority, and make as many friends as possible. What I didn't realize at that time was that college requires lots time outside your classes to do your readings and assignments. How many of you have classes five days a week?"

About half the students in the room raise their hands. "And," she continues, "How many of you have classes at least three or four days a week?" The remaining students raise their hands. She smiles, "I thought so. My freshman year I had classes five days a week. I attended classes in the morning and in the afternoon, but spent the rest of the day hanging out with friends or going to a party. I only did homework on the weekends because I did not realize the extent of what I had to do. How many of you are getting all A's in your classes right now?"

Only a couple students in the room raise their hands this time, Casey being one of them of course. "Very few," the author comments, "and that is exactly the response I expected. My freshman year I failed two of my classes. I was lucky I didn't fail more than that. The next year I had to retake those classes and I went to the campus tutoring center where they gave me advice about how to handle college classes when you come straight from college. By the time I got the hang of college and I was achieving good grades I realize not enough high schools are teaching students what they need to know about heading off to college. It started as a small group of us offering students advice, but it quickly turned into this book."

Honestly, I zoned out for most of her presentation. While it seems somewhat important and I'm sure some of us do not know what she telling us, it is incredibly boring. I walk out of the event with Casey and Natalia, who I did not see come in at all. We made our way to the cafeteria. Luckily, I saw Peter, Freddy, and Seth sitting down at one of the tables. I sit down with them at a table once I get my food.

"Hey!" They tell me. "Long time no see!"

I laugh, "I could say the same thing. How was practice the other day?"

They all shrug and Peter says, "Practice is usually the same. Where have you been?"

"I had that event to go to. Why weren't any of you there?"