Chapter 77 - Guilt

Natsu's POV

I can't believe I'm looking at this right now. I never thought I would ever have to see this. I was sitting in the infirmary, shirtless with a bandage wrapped around my waist and over my shoulder. In front of me, my best friend and girlfriend were lying unconscious on two beds each attached to a heart monitor. Gray was on the left bed and Lucy was on the right bed. Both heart monitors beeped a steady rhythm which was good to hear but still heartbreaking. Earlier it frightened me when Lucy flatlined twice but thanks to Wendy she pulled through.

If it wasn't for me and my family's past, neither of them would've been in this situation. Now that the worst of it is over with Acnologia's death, it had hit me hard that I could've lost my girlfriend and my best friend. I slowly stood up and walked over to Lucy's bedside. I gently grasped Lucy's hand and held it up. Staring at her injured face broke my heart and I kissed the back of her hand. "Please wake up my love" I said quietly and prayed. Each minute of watching her unconscious in this state was the worst torture I've ever endured.

"Boss" Erza called out as she entered the room. I glared at her for defying my orders. "I told you and the others that I wanted to be alone in this room" I growled. "I know that sir but we believe you need a break. You've barely eaten since Lucy was taken and you haven't eaten since you saved her" she replied. "We?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow. "This decision isn't just my own. Your friends are worried about you" she replied with a soft smile at the end. She clearly used the word 'friends' instead of 'mafia' but I can't deny she's right. I shouldn't make my friends worried and I'm sure neither Lucy nor Gray would like to wake up and see me neglecting my health.

I smiled, "you're right as usual Erza" I said as I gently placed Lucy's hand down and stood up. I walked over to Erza and stopped in front of her, next to Gray's bed. I decided to say one thing to Gray before I left. "You better wake up soon Ice Stripper or I'll call Lyon from the Lamia Scale Mafia to take Juvia out on a date" I joked. It freaked us out when Gray suddenly sat up eyes wide open. "Say that again Pyro and I'll smack ya!" he shouted angrily before falling backwards unconscious again. "That punk woke up just to pick a fight with me?!" I shouted angrily before reaching out to shake him awake, but Erza hooked her arms underneath mine and pulled me out of the room while I was fighting against her.

When I was in the Cafeteria, everyone decided to sit with me while I ate seven Fire Dragon burgers. "How's Lucy doing?" Laxus asked and Mira slapped his arm. "Now's not the time to ask that. He's still upset" she whispered to him which I heard. I understood his concern for his little sister and wanting to know any positive news regarding her. I put down my last burger onto my plate, "she's still unconscious and her condition is the same" I replied. "What about my darling Gray?" Juvia asked. "Well he tried to pick a fight with me earlier before going unconscious again so I guess he'll wake up soon" I replied. "Everyone! Gray's awake!" Wendy shouted as she burst into the Cafeteria.

We rushed to the infirmary to see Gray sitting up and looking at Lucy with a guilty expression. "It's not your fault" I told him and he noticed us walk into the room. "If I had been stronger-" he started but I interrupted him. "You are strong. Acnologia was just a monster with too much power. You did try to protect Lucy and you sent Happy to save me while saving Lucy so I'd say you did your job. So, don't beat yourself up about it" I said. He nodded.

"Gray!" Juvia pushed through the crowd and hugged him tight. He winced in pain but then hugged her back with a loving smile on his face. I was happy for them and it made me look at Lucy. Hopefully Lucy wakes up soon so I can hug and kiss her. I walked over to sit beside her again and the rest of our friends left the room except for Wendy and Laxus. Wendy went to Gray's bed and examined him while Laxus took a seat on the other side of Lucy.

He held Lucy's hand. "You should take your own words to heart you know. You shouldn't blame yourself either. In the end, you protected Lucy and she's alive. She knew the risks of dating you and she still chose to love you. I'm sure Lucy would feel the same way. I've never seen Lucy as happy with anyone than when she's with you" he said. His words reassured the guilt in my chest. "Thanks Laxus" I replied before looking at Lucy and holding her other hand. 'Please wake up soon, your older brother and future husband are waiting for you' I thought.