Chapter 1: The source of his joy, the center of her world...deadly agenda!

Jaxon Spencer vs. Catherine 'Kate' Stevens

Pix: Our crazy rogue, Jaxon, acted by the gorgeous Brant Daugherty

Video: 'Not Afraid' by Eminem

Dedicated to ijegoexcellent

Cheers!

***

Eighteen years earlier, somewhere in Australia...

The party was in full blast. Music blared, people danced, and conversation flowed as excited party guests enjoyed themselves thoroughly without restraint. There was a lot to eat and drink. If the way the guests looked plastered was anything to go by, the party had been going on for a while.

The host, a giant of a man with bright ginger hair, went around encouraging the guests to drink more and have fun. From how the guests related to him, it was apparent they held him in high esteem. The bright smile that played perpetually around his lips made him appear very pleasant. But upon a closer look, an observant person would notice the sinister expression in his eyes. In the middle of exchanging pleasantries with one of the guests, the host suddenly paused, gave a slight nod, and then excused himself. Then, with long strides, he started for the building near the party grounds.

*

"Leo, Amelia..." The host bellowed cheerfully as he entered his study. "Sorry for disturbing you this evening."

"No problem, Alpha," the one called Leo responded, getting to his feet respectfully. "You summoned, so we came."

"Oh, the little one is asleep," The alpha whispered as he looked at the baby girl sleeping peacefully in her mother's lap. "Where is her brother?" The alpha asked as his eyes shifted around. "I asked you to bring both of them."

"He was asleep when we were leaving home, Alpha," Leo responded. "We didn't want to disturb his sleep."

"That can be handled later," the alpha threw his hand dismissively. "Sit, sit." The alpha took a seat too even as he gave instructions to his goons on their mind-links. "Let me just cut to the chase," he boomed with a smile. "You have made it very clear that you don't approve of my operations."

"Alpha..." Leo began but got cut off by the alpha's raised hand.

"I'm talking, Leo." Although the alpha's smile remained intact, it didn't take away the harshness in his tone. "You have spoken against my recent dealings to the extent that I have been summoned by the alpha of alphas to... how did he put it... Explain the sudden influx of cash into my accounts. As my beta, I expected better from you."

"I just feel it is terrible that you've turned pack members into hired guns, Alpha," Leo rasped. "You are using these young men who should be given better direction, as hit men for humans. That is not..." his words ended in a horrible gurgle sound as his hands shot up to the side of his throat. He slammed forward, his eyes wide in death.

"Luna!" Amelia screamed when she saw the blood gushing from the gunshot wound on her mate's neck. She knew she was next. But before she could even plead, a silver bullet slammed into her head. She went silent, her head thrown back.

The alpha got to his feet, went around his desk, and snapped the neck of the still-sleeping baby in her mother's lap like a twig. "Take the bodies to their bungalow," he commanded as he headed for the door. "At least I explained exactly why he was catching the bullet," he chuckled. "Kill the boy and then burn the house down, Zeke." The alpha addressed one of the three young men in the study. "And remember, it must look like an accident."