Chapter 23

"I have to go back to LA." Karishma announces to the group while her eyes are only on Haseena.

"Now?" Haseena reaches for Karishma's hand and holds on to it.

"Yeah. Captain Lanna wants me. It's... the internal affairs thing." Karishma puts on a quick smile and fights Haseena's stare. It only takes seconds after the fight commences for Haseena to avoid those brown eyes. It's not that she gets the blushes or the butterflies. It is something on the contrary. It is a crack that starts to form pain in her heart. "I'll see you back in LA?"

"At Haseena's." Aanya quickly responds. Anywhere else they go, they will create the unnecessary buzz. "Not yours. Not anywhere else."

"See you at my house tomorrow." Haseena rows in Aanya's flow. She knows if she goes against it, she will be left with nothing; she will be left with no time at all with Karishma.

"Looking forward to." Karishma smiles before Haseena pulls her in for a quick peck on the lips.

"Don't forget."

"I won't." Karishma is taken back a bit with the random remark but she still manages to hold the promise in her hand. "Why would I?"

"See you, detective." James holds his fist up and waits for Karishma's to bump it.

Karishma nods at Aanya as her goodbye before turning back to Haseena again. She winks and gets Haseena to smile a bit before taking off. As soon as the door is closed and Karishma's presence is gone, Haseena sighs so deep and lies back on the bed again.

"Are you alright?" James asks when Haseena's reaction is different from what he expected.

Haseena holds her phone up to her eyesight, scrolls it for a second before starting to read out loud to what appears on her screen. "Miss Malik. I am well-informed that Detective Singh would be spending a couple of days with you in Calgary. That wouldn't affect the case in any way. We will contact you as soon as we've got anything more on the case."

James and Aanya look at each other; confused by the reading they have just heard.

"That was the email from Captain Lanna. I got it last night." Haseena says so whispery as if she doesn't want to hear herself or admit what is about to come. "So. Either something was up or Karishma was lying. And I don't want to go with either."

"You got on a plane a lot for someone who is scared of flying." Officer Maria makes her remark as she places her hands on her duty belt. She has just picked Karishma up from the airport and now they are on their way up to the private patient unit floor. She glances at Karishma who has her arms crossed and her mind tangled. "You should have stayed with your girlfriend a bit more. I mean I'm sure it will become a rare chance to come by. People are starting to talk about her more and more these days. She'll probably have to be everywhere."

"I guess I'll have to get used to flying then." Karishma says underneath her breath as her mind is processing something else entirely. "Thank you for picking me up but you don't have to stay."

Officer Maria watches Karishma step out of the elevator before pressing the button to keep the door open for a few more seconds of the conversation that might lead to nowhere. "Has anyone told you that this is a tiny bit stupid? You're practically stepping into the dark side."

Karishma scoffs. "I'm only stepping out of this elevator."

"You have no business with him and you know that."

"His kids need their father, Angela. His wife needs him. I'm responsible as his partner."

Officer Maria decides to step out of the elevator and lightly shoves Karishma's wounded shoulder. "Did you do that to yourself?"