Chapter 2

Through her one eye that is not occupied by the making of a gorgeous eye shadow, Haseena watches Karishma lounging on the armchair with one hand holding onto her phone and another holding onto a warm paper cup of coffee. She crosses her legs and kicking her foot like a child who is too lost in their little world. Her colorful socks are unintentionally visible as well as the rim of her ankle holster. It is not very obvious but as a girl who grew up in a police family, she knows where to look and it is impossible to escape her eyes. Haseena stretches her long leg and kicks Karishma's leg; hard enough for her foot to touch the floor and her holster to go back in its hiding.

"What are you doing?" Haseena asks as soon as Karishma's foot lands back on the floor and her eyes shifts from her phone to her. "Just reading some... information." Karishma answers Haseena who is on the makeup chair with a guy doing her makeup and a girl doing her hair. It would be a lie saying that she is not naturally beautiful even with her grumpy face when she was awaken so early in the morning when Karishma arrived at her door.

"It's a comic book." Aanya pokes to see the screen and exposes the fact to the whole room.

"It's a graphic novel." Karishma argues quietly but so intensively.

"What happened to your old assistant James?"

The makeup artist asks as he continues to get Haseena ready for a photoshoot.

"Nothing happened to him. He is outside." Haseena answers and closes both eyes for the man to finish up her eyes.

"Shouldn't she go get your coffee or something?" The hairdresser whispers and glances at Karishma who now stops reading things off her phone and starts staring at something that is not there. "Is she alright? She seems a bit... off?"

Haseena looks at Karishma who is clearly listening to the conversation but acting like she is not. She tries to hide her smile and shakes her head. "She has just quit drinking. Her mind is still settling."

"Oh." The makeup artist pauses his work and secretly glances at Karishma. "So you're helping her out? That's so sweet of you, Haseena."

"Ok, we're ready." The hairdresser announces and finishes her final touch. "Oh. We're seeing you at your house later, right? Before you head to New York."

As soon as Karishma hears the word that should not be popping up in the context, she interrupts. "New York?"

Before anyone gets a chance to explain anything, a coordinator pokes into the room. He has an iPad in his hand and a headphone over his head. "Excuse me, Will is running a little late so we'll do your shoots first. Then, your couple shoots."

"Oh yeah, he's texted me. Thanks." Haseena responds and heads over to the rack of expensive outfits that she will be posing in..

Karishma waits until the makeup artist and the hairdresser leave the room before she stands up with her hesitant look. She is suddenly nervous; too nervous that it is so obvious for the people from the end of the street to see. "We're going to New York?"

"Yeah." Haseena nods.

"Just for a day." Aanya elaborates Haseena's response. "We're flying in tonight. Haseena will do a morning show, a radio show and a couple of interviews. Then, we'll fly back."

"By plane, you mean?" Karishma asks for confirmation that sounds weird enough for Haseena to turn towards her. The brick wall of expression Karishma has managed to hold up is now completely gone. She gets a bit pale and her gestures get a bit wild that she has to put her hands in her pockets.

"Yes. By a private jet." Aanya responds without seeing what Haseena is seeing.

"Detective, are you afraid of flying?" Haseena takes her guess and it seems to hit the bullseye on her first try when Karishma scoffs.