Turnabout on the Waves, Part 8 (Lucas)

Venus opened her eyes. Lily had summoned her successfully. I grabbed her shoulders and began shaking her back and forth violently. "What the heck was that about!? I heard you talking to Deirdre! You know who the Oracle of the Law is?!"

Venus looked terrified. "Y-yes...I do...But I can't tell you who it is... Just trust me!"

I growled. "Look at what good the secret did for you! That was the motive for murder when you were killed!"

Venus seemed to hesitate here. "If I tell you, you'll be in just as much danger as me! From there, everything and everyone you know is in trouble! You heard what Ulysses Kyller said: he needs to take her down!"

I smirked, releasing her from my grip. "You just gave me a hint: the Oracle is a female. So somebody at the office, Lily, Niamh, Chrysalis, or Yuri is the Oracle of the Law. Thanks for the hint, Venus."

She swore under her breath before grabbing me. "Listen up, Red! If you tell a soul about this, I will not be happy! Remember that two of your co-workers can summon me back!"

I nodded brainlessly. I had a large hint: four suspects. Who seemed like the most likely candidate...?

Venus let me go. "Promise?"

I nodded again. "I won't tell a soul. But I have a deal for you in trade for my silence."

Venus stared at me in shock. "Are you blackmailing me, Red?"

I nodded. I never expected that I'd black mail somebody, but here we are. "In one month, I'll have somebody summon you back. I'll propose who I think the Oracle is, and if I'm wrong, you correct me."

Venus glared at me angrily. "And if I don't?"

"Then I'll tell everybody at the office about how you kept this secret from us...including your little sister," I smirked. "We couldn't have that, now could we?"

Venus snarled at me. "I don't like you."

I laughed. "But if you tell me, I can protect said Oracle. You know, since I can fence, and quite well at that."

Venus growled. "...Fine. We have a deal. But even after you know, tell only the Oracle that you know. Well, them and the one closest to them."

"Was that another hint?" I smirked.

"...I'm leaving."

Venus closed her eyes and left Lily's body.

But she had given me all the information I needed.

"Why are you suddenly so interested in Venus?" Lily asked, glancing at me suspiciously.

I shook my head, a grin still plastered on my face. "No reason."

"Do you...like her?" Lily smirked.

"NO!" I shrieked.

Lily giggled. "It was worth a shot."

"...Let's get back to the agency. Tomorrow's a big day."

//February 16, 2027. Lucas' House, 11:49 PM//

I sat at my desk, eyes wide open. "Stupid cryptic hints.... When are people just going to say things like they mean them?"

I had written down in a notebook who I thought the Oracle was. I had crossed Yuri off of the list since she was present with Estelle that day. I don't think I saw Lily, Niamh, or Chrysalis in the gallery that day, so they're still in the game.

But before I could deduce further, the wish for sleep overtook me. I found myself crawling into bed, unable to take being awake any longer.

//February 17, 2027. Defendant Lobby No. 5, 9:36 AM//

I yawned and walked to join Lily. "Morning," I groaned.

"Somebody didn't get much sleep," Lily observed. "I guess it's good I'm the lead defense."

"I agree," I said, yawning once again.

Plus, I only had to half pay attention to the trial, which meant that I could deduce more things about yesterday.

"I wonder, what did you talk about with Venus yesterday?" Lily asked.

"I-I-"

"Ms. Shield, Mr. Red."

I turned to see Mr. Turq standing next to us. Thank goodness. I did not want to have to think of a cover story for my...rough housing with Venus yesterday.

"Mr. Turq!" Lily exclaimed.

"Do you think you'll win today?" he asked. Didn't he say something similar yesterday...? He did! I just hope that today doesn't completely copy yesterday: I do not want the trial to be postponed any further. Plus, I do not want to relive yelling at a dead girl...

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm sure that we'll win this time. I think I know who the killer is already, so that helps."

Lily gasped. "Who is it? How did you figure it out?"

"I talked with Venus while she was in your body. We figured out that Cole Immis is the killer," I replied. "But for some random reason, she mentioned Collin Ispy. Do you think he's related somehow?"

Lily shrugged. "I don't know. I wasn't around during Venus speak."

"So, Cole Immis is the killer?" Mr. Turq asked. "I guess that makes sense. He showed up so spontaneously. What other reason could he have for making such a sudden appearance?"

"Do you know Mr. Immis well?" Lily questioned.

Mr. Turq shook his head. "No. We never even spoke. He just showed up at the race after he went to the carnival. Cole did mention that at one point to Blu. I just happened to over hear it."

"So, he did go to the carnival before the race..." I whispered. At first, I thought it was just some random thing made to form an alibi. I guess not.

But that still gives him no alibi. The murder occurred during the race, after all.

"How are you going to accuse him?" Mr. Turq asked nervously.

"By mentioning a little something that Chrysalis told me before she left," Lily smirked. "When the Under Cover Assassin is involved with a case, they leave behind a sword. The victim got stabbed with a sword, so it makes sense."

"But Mr. Immis isn't the UCA...." I pointed out.

"He and Collin Ispy have the same initials. Cole showed up out of nowhere, somebody got killed, and Mr. Ispy escaped from jail. Does this sound far fetched?" Lily asked.

"I guess not...." I whispered.

"Defense! Defendant!"

"Time to go," I told Mr. Turq.

"Let's put this case to rest," Lily smiled.

------------------------------

A/N

I posted again tonight!

Yay!

Well, I do not want to sit at the computer anymore, so I'm heading out.

Peace!

-digital