CHAPTER 10: I RUIN A PERFECTLY GOOD BUS

(TW: mention of drugs

I wanted to put this here because some people have issues with seeing these types of jokes, I am not supporting illegal drug usage or overdose. I typed this as a joke, please remember that.

And if you're struggling, please get help. It sounds cheesy but seriously, don't let it consume you.

Anyway, I'll put a ******* where the mentions of it might be. And I will type ********* where it ends.)

It didn't take me long to pack. I decided to leave the Minotaur horn in my cabin, which left me only an extra change of clothes and a toothbrush to stuff in a backpack Grover had found for me.

The camp store loaned me one hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas. These coins were as big as Girl Scout cookies and had images of various Greek gods stamped on one side and the Empire State Building on the other. The ancient mortal drachmas had been silver, Chiron told us, but Olympians never used less than pure gold. Chiron said the coins might come in handy for non-mortal transactions—whatever that meant.

Dumbledore leaned in his eyes twinkling, "Are they similar to galleons?"

"You're not getting into Olympus, Gandalf." Hermes responded.

Regulus being a paranoid man went into his bank account and took out over a thousand bucks and 50 drachmas. When I told Regulus he didn't need to do this he just smiled and said that it was just a bit of pocket money. Draco wasn't surprised by the amount of money. I later learned this was because he was almost as rich as Ara.

"Fucking rich people..." A half-blood muttered.

James snapped his head up, about to make a dirty joke... until Regulus, Lily, Remus and Severus all smacked him.

It was then I decided the rich were crazy.

James screeched in offense, "I'm not crazy! Reggie! Ara! Tell Percy I'm not crazy!"

Ara sighed, "Dad, I'm sorry. But Percy's right. Us rich people are crazy."

Regulus nodded and kissed James's cheek, "I'm sorry you had to find out like this..."

Chiron gave Regulus, Ara, Draco. Annabeth and I each a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc bag full of ambrosia squares, to be used only in emergencies, if we were seriously hurt. It was god food, Chiron reminded us. It would cure us of almost any injury, but it was lethal to mortals. Too much of it would make a half-blood very, very feverish. An overdose would burn us up, literally.

*********

"So their drugs." Theodore said.

"...No?" Percy said.

"They are kind of like drugs... especially back in the 70's..." Hermes muttered.

*********

Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap, which she told me had been a twelfth-birthday present from her mom. She carried a book on famous classical architecture, written in Ancient Greek, to read when she got bored, and a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve. I was sure the knife would get us busted the first time we went through a metal detector.

Ara had told Annabeth that she wouldn't be needing the book. Annabeth immediately got defensive and started arguing with Ara. Luckily before a full-blown fight could start, Draco stepped in and explained to Annabeth that they would always have to be on guard, plus a book would just add unnecessary weight to the bag. After a lot of convincing from her brother, Annabeth finally agreed to leave the book behind.