𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟐𝟒 - 𝑻𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖

It simply did not make sense. Wei Wuxian's flute had last been seen at Nightless City along with its owner. Just like the remains of his body, the musical instrument was nowhere to be found after the combat came to an end. So for what impossible reason could it have landed inside this hidden cave at such a long distance away from the renowned battlefield?

When Wei Wuxian vanished into thin air right before Lan Wangji's eyes, could the flute also have experienced the same unexplainable phenomenon? However, if that were the case, Wei Wuxian's location could also be situated within this enclosure – and yet, Lan Wangji sensed no other human presence nearby. It simply did not add up to this possibility.

Lan Wangji looked up from the flute and silently examined the dark depths of this cave within the range of his eyesight. The expression in his eyes was challenging to figure out – it contained hints of hope from feeling closer to Wei Wuxian than he's ever had these last three years, but also the fear of it being the sole trace left behind by him. Unable to wait any longer, Lan Wangji quickly raised his hand, his index and middle fingers pressed together as he began writing three characters in a vertical direction.

明火符

Míng Huǒ Fú (Bright Fire Talisman)'s purpose was exactly what its name suggested. His fingers quickly shifted toward the right to finalize the process, and the three characters turned into an visible talisman. He then promptly shifted his hand forward, pointing toward the unknown route that continued into the cave. In the blink of an eye, the talisman illuminated the whole area – and Lan Wangji's initial hope quickly died down once he realized that there was no continuous path. It was a clear dead-end – which means that there was nothing, or rather no one else he could find within this enclosure. 

Lan Wangji quickly retrieved his hand as the talisman vanished into the air, and looked back at the flute on his other hand. The look in his eyes had returned to its usual impassive state – and somehow, finding this flute without a trace of its owner did not give him the slightest sense of relief. Lan Yuan was silently gazing up at him, realizing that it was perhaps not the best moment to make further mistakes or say something unnecessary – he was still too young to understand, after all.

"We should get back."

The stern voice suddenly spoke, letting a few silent seconds pass by before letting out a sigh. Not everything was lost. He turned around to leave, the flute in his grasp, and the boy's hand on his other hand.

He had found Chenqing, and perhaps with that, he could find further traces from now on. He hadn't given up for these last three years, and he was not ready to give up for the next ten if that is what it takes to find him. For tonight, however, he'll return home with further questions disturbing his rest.

He'll restrict his impatience again, for the sake of his Clan. For the sake of the rules. He'll restrict his emotions and his ambitions.

Wei Ying.

Where are you? 

I want to find you and bring you back. I want to protect you this time. 

I won't turn my back on you again.

So please, tell me where you are.

.

.

Lan Wangji instantly stopped in his tracks as he felt a strong energy infiltrating his soul, and invading his spiritual core. His eyes widened before gazing at the first thing he could think of – the flute in his hands. It was shaking in his hand as if it had a life and spiritual recognition of its own. It wasn't unlikely for an object to be sacred and spiritual, but this wasn't exactly the case here. Something else – unexplainable – was happening to it.