𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟏𝟖 - 𝑫𝒆𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒆

As soon as Wei Wuxian woke up to the sound of the annoyingly loud alarm sound, an exciting smile brightened his face and he quickly got up from the bed. He instantly headed towards the window inside his room and opened it to that fresh morning street market air. He let out a deep sigh, and after a few seconds, he nodded a little in determination, encouraging himself for this rather important day. Without any further wait, he slipped out of his grey tracksuit pants and white simple T-shirt while walking toward the closet shelf and immediately picked out an outfit for the day.

The next step was the bathroom. With his phone placed on the corner of the sink, he brushed his teeth while simultaneously watching the episode that was playing on the screen. Lately, he had gotten obsessed with how captivating the romantic cdramas were and how you could simply 'watch' a story without having to read it. He enjoyed watching television, which he hadn't known before starting his career in the modern city. Madam Jiang unfortunately had none of her own. Nevertheless, while waiting for his session to begin at work, Wei Wuxian would often wait in the makeup room where he could watch television - and no one else would pay attention to what was playing except for him. However, his curious eyes and the evident smile on his face while gazing at the larger screen would always earn a chuckle or curious admiration from Shu Meiling.

He had also begun a more serious step in his recent career. He would still participate in his regular photography sessions, all while also prepping to represent the renowned brand that had hired the model agency for an upcoming collection announcement. Wei Wuxian was still learning about how fashion depended on such a significant economic system rather than the small businesses he's more accustomed to.

Nevertheless, he was well accompanied by Shu Meiling- and he'd be lying if he said that she wouldn't instantly bring a smile onto his face. She was, in fact, a beautiful lady. Wei Wuxian was well aware of it, as well as all the elderly people sitting at Madam Jiang's restaurant. She would occasionally pick him up with her car, something that Wei Wuxian didn't own. Upon seeing her model-like appearance, height, and figure, as well as her flawless skin and radiant smile, Wei Wuxian's old friends quickly jumped to conclusions. Their young friend Wei Ying had at last found love.

Every time they'd tease him about it, asking him if Shu was perhaps his girlfriend, Wei Wuxian would simply chuckle and shake his head a little. He didn't show as much resistance as that one time when a desperate grandmother was eager to introduce him to her granddaughter. At the time, he had been reluctant to be introduced to a pretty lady for various reasons; including the obvious fact that he wasn't from this world. It had seemed so impossible and unlikely to establish a relationship with a person from this world while he was still so confused about why and how he had left his world. Moreover, the intention to find a way back had been strong as well, even if he might have always indirectly avoided looking for a way back. Integrating into this world first to find the answers to go back had been his initial plan, but perhaps that had simply been a pretext to move on.

Whatever it was, Wei Wuxian was certain about one thing. Establishing an actual relationship with a woman in this world no longer seemed unlikely. It felt natural as if it were fate to do so.

Perhaps this meant that he had moved on.

With the toothbrush in his mouth, Wei Wuxian quickly lost track of what he was doing when the scene of the episode quickly became dramatic. He could honestly spend the whole day watching these shows.

When Madam Jiang suddenly called his name from downstairs, Wei Wuxian quickly spit the remaining toothpaste into the sink and slightly looked in the direction of the opened door.

"One minute, Madam Jiang!"

He exclaimed before glancing back at the mirror, making sure that his now freshly cut hair was well styled. As soon as he was satisfied, he grabbed his phone and rushed down the stairs.

And just like that, a normal day in his new life would begin. He'd leave the house after greeting Madam Jiang and all the elderly neighbors who'd get so contented at the sole sight of him, and he'd walk through the busy and lively street he loved so much. Wei Wuxian smiled as he smelled all kinds of delicious pastries being sold in the stalls, many of which did not exist in his world.

He soon entered the inside market hallways, which led to the pathway from the other side of the street. Instead of heading towards the taxi vehicles parked in a row, he walked toward a familiar light blue car and gently knocked on the front window.

The dark window covered with a sunshade rolled down, and Shu Meiling smiled at him.

"Did you sleep well?" She asked, and he playfully leaned his arms against her window with a smile.

"Like an angel," he replied, earning a satisfied chuckle from her. "That's what I want to hear. Now get on, Mr. Ying." She told him, playfully addressing him formally although they had already agreed on being casual around each other. Wei Ying smiled excitedly before walking around the car and getting in from the other side. He then sat down on the passenger seat and closed the door.

"Ready to go?" Shu asked him as she plugged in the keys, and Wei Ying's excited expression was enough of an answer. "Mhm!" He nodded at her and watched attentively how she started the car and began turning the wheel. He hadn't been able to observe from the backseat of the taxi vehicles, although it was mostly due to him being immersed in the sight of the big city.

He promised himself that he'd complete the driving lessons and get a car of his own - these machines which he had initially mistaken as bizarre monsters had proven themselves to be far more convenient than horses or carriages.

As Shu Meiling began driving, she automatically opened the window from Wei Ying's side so that he could enjoy the sight even better. And so he did, smiling as he felt the air hit his face and the sight of this new world enlightening his soul.

This was his new life.

And at home, the portraits he'd draw of his family and friends of the other world would decrease in number, as the pain inside him slowly faded away.

And just like that,

three years passed in a blink of an eye.

_____________________________

Publication date: 25.07.2023

Image: Xiao Zhan, Pinterest

Dear Reader, 

I am currently planning the next chapters in advance so that posting a new update won't take as long as this one did. I am currently on a brief vacay trip and will use the opportunity to write the new chapter throughout it.  After all, this is the moment we've all been expecting (; (I hope that the sudden time skip at the end was enough to announce a new exciting phase of this story!) All the best!