𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟐𝟏 - 𝑼𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒑𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝑷𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆

A strong and familiar source of light defiantly took over his mind, and the warm vivid feeling embraced his soul. Wei Wuxian's brows furrowed and his face crunched up in discomfort as certain unexplainable images began invading his dream. The focus was put on a specific cave situated in the middle of a deserted forest, and the darkness of its inside was quickly enlightened by that same light. Then, a scene of lightning accompanied by the sound of thunder took over the mental show, inevitably provoking an uneasy feeling within the sleeping man. His dream soon depicted images of the crowded streets and nocturnal lights of Beijing, but they were extremely vague – as if these were not its focus and purpose. Instead, it quickly shifted into the image of a long-haired man, dressed in long light blue robes. Only his back was showing, as if the dream was purposely concealing the individual's identity. One thing was certain though. This man seemed to be uneasy as well, searching for something in an unknown territory. And as soon as he began turning around, a familiar voice called out for him- and at that moment, Wei Wuxian promptly opened his eyes.

He breathed heavily, his chest rising and lowering with each pant as his widened eyes tried to process his current situation. His brows were frowning in bewilderment, and a drop of sweat rolled down his temple. Wei Wuxian could recall each scene of that dream and with it every provoked feeling. The voice that spoke to him was still ringing in his head, and he gulped before slowly getting up from his lying position. When had he fallen asleep in the first place?

He stood up from the bed, still feeling extremely disoriented after experiencing such a heavy and confusing dream, and picked up his phone. Turning it on, he realized that he had been out for almost forty minutes – which meant that he had napped throughout his visit. Wei Wuxian scratched the side of his head in slight annoyance, and let out a huff. "I should stop watching too many action movies..." He mumbled to himself, suggesting that these may be the reason for this extremely vivid dream. He had to admit that it had been quite a while since he's dreamed of... that person. Nevertheless, it wasn't the first time. This was equally the case for other people, such as close family members, or people who were important to him. Were. Because they are no longer here, in this world, and in his life.

Wei Wuxian had long ago accepted the fact that they were gone and that there was no possibility of encountering them again. Call him selfish, but this is the sole option he had to survive.

Alas, he tried to shrug off the uneasy feeling burning within him and forced himself not to think back about the details of that dream. After all, he had far more important matters to focus on rather than losing time on futile phantoms.

"The cab will pick me up soon..." He mumbled under his breath as he rushed towards the door, leaving the room in its former silent atmosphere.

As he hurriedly walked down the stairs, Madam Jiang turned to look away from the clients she was chatting with and placed her hands on her hips. "Wei Ying! Don't tell me you took a nap-" She asked with a disappointed expression, and Wei Wuxian quickly realized how much of a disheveled state his hair was in. Instead of coming up with a petty excuse to defend his honor, Wei Wuxian pouted as he began brushing his hair back with his fingers. "You could have woken me up I was away for almost an hour! I could have been kidnapped-" He protested, and Madam Jiang couldn't help but laugh at the unlikely possibility. "Aioo who would kidnap a young man like you in this day and age." She joked before quickly getting serious again. "And what are you waiting for? Get ready, or you'll miss your ride." The woman rushed him, still not aware of the fact that the vehicle purposely came to pick him up. It will not drive away as long as Wei Wuxian doesn't get on it.

"Also. Make sure to come tomorrow for dinner, you hear me? Your favorite meal is on the menu."

She told him before heading toward the front counter to put away some menu cards, indifferent about how Wei Wuxian suddenly followed after her with beaming eyes.