𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟖 - 𝑨 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌

One day had passed since Wei Wuxian started his first day as a waiter. Although things had gotten quite heated with the elderly women showering the poor unfamiliar guy with endless questions, the rest of the day had passed rather peacefully. There were not a lot of clients besides a few regular customers who personally knew the innkeeper, but a few were better than nothing. The inns he's visited in his world were always full and running a good business, and their food and drinks were not necessarily better than the food at this restaurant. It is truly a shame, but perhaps things would become slightly easier for Hiao now that she had a second pair of hands.

It was also a good opportunity for Wei Wuxian to learn something new and most importantly, to adapt to this world somehow. In order to properly focus on finding a way to return to his world, he needed to find a stable routine first. He wouldn't be able to make any progress out there in the streets of starvation. Fortunately, he had already a place to stay, a job, and a new friend who luckily did not share the same temper as Jiang Cheng despite the same surname. He had also recovered from his wounds after some time, which was surprising considering how he did no longer have his spiritual core. Overall, things were working out quite well for him.

It was currently almost evening, and Wei Wuxian was sweeping the floor of the restaurant when Jiang Hiao returned from her grocery shopping task.

Wei Wuxian looked up when he heard the creaking door open and smiled excitedly at her arrival. "Ah-Welcome back, Jiang Hiao!" He greeted before quickly coming to her aid since the bags she was carrying seemed quite heavy. "Are these all the ingredients you needed?"

"Yes, these should be enough for the few next days," She said with a tired sigh and gladly let him help her with the bags. "Thank you, can you bring those to the kitchen counter?" She asked as she took the opportunity to catch her breath from the whole shopping workout.

"Right away!" He said and as he grabbed the bag, the first thing that caught his eye was Lotus roots.

"Ah-? Lotus?" He quickly asked before looking at the woman who nodded in response. A smile quickly formed on his lips as he looked back down at the ingredient enthusiastically, and anyone could immediatelyy guess how much he liked it. "I guess I'll be making Lotus soup tonight then." 

"Huh! Really? I'm looking forward to it Madam Jiang!" He exclaimed with a cheerful smile.

Not only was he picked up by a Jiang in this world, but now they were also cooking him Lotus soup. What a funny coincidence.

Later that night, both of them were seated at one of the tables in the restaurant. Wei Wuxian was finishing his meal whilst Madam Jiang was reading the newspaper. They did not need such a thing back in his world, considering how word always spread fast through rumors and gossip. Well, that may be the case in this world as well, especially among the elderly.

Anyway, Wei Wuxian was glad that he could eat Lotus in this place as well. The meal tasted completely different from the one that his sister always made, but what was he expecting anyway? It wasn't his sister who cooked it. But that's alright... this meal was good enough for him to enjoy.

It was enough to warm up his heart after what he went through. 

"Mhm- Madam Jiang, can I ask you a question?"

"Ask away" She answered, not taking her eyes away from the interesting news.

Wei Wuxian slightly frowned his eyebrows as he looked at her with pursed lips, his expression a little curious.

"Do you have a family?"

"Of course I do. Everyone has"

"I see... So where are they?"