25. Awakening

Kiyoshi pulled the blade from Hiro's torso and threw him aside like garbage. Hiro splat to the ground, and I immediately bolted to him. Corvade and Strawberry Shades made their attack, but I wasn't paying attention to their battle. I couldn't hear them anymore either. All I could hear was Hiro's labored breathing while the blood began to seep from his body.

        "Hiro... Oh my god, you're..."

        I grabbed his shoulders and told him that I was gonna help him up on the count of three. I only lifted him a few inches off the ground for 5 seconds before collapsing back down. A sharp moan escaped his lips when he hit the ground.

        "Oh shoot, I-I-I-I didn't mean to..!" My eyes darted to his face that was beginning to pale. His right cheek was leaning on the floor, and his eyes were getting heavy. All of a sudden, my heart began to pound really loudly and my throat started to tighten. I didn't want him to worry so I forced the words out of my mouth. "Um...it's okay! You're okay! Everything's fine! I'm gonna go... I'm gonna get you outta here, okay?"

        I tried again but gave out after only 1 second. Hiro was starting to breath harder and less often now, and I could hear the trembling in each breath. His skin was drenched in a mix of blood and sweat, and he couldn't even open his eyes anymore.

        "You're gonna make it outta here, but I need your help when I lift, alright? Y-you're pretty heavy you know," I said to him, letting out a nervous chuckle. I saw him shake his head. "O...okay, I get it! Uh, how about you stay here and I'll get help? I'll go find another hero who could heal you, so don't move. I'll get Recovery Girl and--"

        He shook his head again and this time, my chest got hot. And for some reason, I exploded. "What do you mean? What do you want me to do?! You're freaking... You're freaking bleeding everywhere! I--ah... Y-you need help! I'm trying to help you!"

        I felt him place his hand on top of mine. He gave it a weak squeeze. He opened his eyes and gazed at me. He was crying.

        "R...rin... I...It's...too... I'm..."

        I felt my heart drop. I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I-I know Niisan, it freaking hurts like hell and that's why you need help. Y-you're--"

        He opened his mouth and whispered something to me, but I couldn't understand him. Leaning down closer, I asked him to say it again.

        "Be...h...ind..."

        Corvade was about to jab her baton into Kiyoshi's torso when a vortex appeared. He took a step back into the void. Just as I turned around, a pair of hands wrap around me. I slipped away from Hiro's grasp and then, I was in complete darkness. I couldn't see anything, not even my body. For a second, I heard a pounding echoing in my ear along with a high-pitched sound that almost sounded like a gong. At first, I thought that I was dead.

        No. Hiro's the one who's dead.

        I popped out of the vortex. The bright sun in the cloudless sky scorched my eyes while a cool breeze blew in my face. I heard the distant crashing of waves and smelled salt in the air. As I neared the sand, I saw that we were teleported to Takoba Municipal Beach. There was a pile of debris and trash on one side while the rest of it littered the beach.

        That's not true, Hiro's not dead. He's not gonna die. He'll be fine; Strawberry Shades and the heroes will help him.

        Suddenly, Kiyoshi's fingers wrapped around me. I didn't bother to pry him off. As we fell into another vortex, I glimpsed Corvade speeding after us. The scenery changed when we fell through another portal. The sounds of the train blasted in my ears along with the bustling of traffic. It looked like Hosu City since the iconic yellow train gave it away. Not to mention, the abundance of buildings and towers.