24. The Darkest Light

Start from the beginning

        "No, you're my sister! Why would I--"

        "Am I? Am I really your sister?"

        "Rin, what are you talking about?"

        I slowed down to a stop. It was getting harder to breathe from all that running, but I also found that I hardly had the strength to keep going. Noticing my stop, Hiro did the same.

        "Kiyoshi...he told me something. He told me that you, Dad, and Mom weren't my actual family."

        Hiro's expression went stiff. He didn't respond right away. After a slight pause, he spoke. "And you believe him?"

        "I don't want to," I said, shaking my head. "But what's there not to believe? My Quirk's totally different from Mom's and Dad's."

        "So what? Are you automatically not my sister just because of that? Am I not your brother?"

        "I-I don't know...but you're not telling me something."

        He kept his gaze on me, his mouth quivering slightly. It looked like he wanted to say something but every time he opened his mouth, he held back. When he finally found the strength to muster his voice, he only got my name in before deep rumbling was heard. The entire place began to shake, and I had to steady myself by placing my hands on the wall. The lights flickered as the shaking intensified. Through the flickering, I noticed that a figure had suddenly appeared.

        Hiro pushed me to the floor just as a lightning bolt came flying, missing me by a hair. We staggered to our feet. Once they got into the light, I knew who our attacker was.

        "I've been looking for you two," Akira growled, sauntering over to us. "Why don't you stop running? I promise that I'll make it hurt less."

        "Leave us alone!" Hiro demanded.

        She let out a chuckle. She held out her hand with a wide grin forming on her lips. "Make me!"      

        She sent a surge of lightning at us. I jumped right and Hiro jumped left. She decided to target Hiro first because she immediately sent another attack at him. He got zapped in the shoulder and I saw visible pain flash on his face. Regardless, he toughed it out and sprinted at her. Raising the metal pipe, he aimed for the top of her head. Akira sent lightning at his stomach but before it could hit him, I stretched my hand out and curled it into a fist, and it zipped into the wall.

        Hiro was able to land a clean hit on her head. He must've used a lot of strength because blood began to trickle from Akira's head. She wasn't giving up that easily. Wrapping her fingers around his arm, she pulled down and shoved her knee into his nostril. That cause him to drop his weapon and it clattered to the ground. She gave him no time to recover and zapped him with lightning, making him cry out.

        I started to run over to him when Akira attacked me with one too. Pain erupted throughout my entire body and I fell forward, biting my tongue in the process. The metallic taste of blood began to fill my mouth. I watched as Akira picked up the metal pipe and held it over Hiro.

        "That hurt, y'know! You're just as annoying as your sister!" she said, licking the blooding that trickled to her mouth. She began to charge the pipe with electricity. "Don't worry, this will only hurt a lot!"

        "Hiro!" I exclaimed, raising my hand.

        Just as she went for the finishing blow, the pipe flies out of her hand. It flew with such force that it made a dent in the wall. Before she could react, Hiro leaped and slammed his head under her chin causing her to stumble back. He tried to punch her but she sent another lightning bolt again, but it missed. She snatched the pipe on the ground and before she attacked, another rumbled erupted. The entire place violently shook and the lights shut off.