Chapter 4

The war took three full years to end

The war took three full years to end. It was a war of conquest. At the end of the boring days of repeated cease-fire and war, the emperor of Kater received complete surrender from two small kingdoms. Kings from all over the world sent an appeal and ministers bowed their heads, kowtowing under the emperor's feet. Humiliating signs of becoming a subsidiary kingdom went back and forth between the borders.

When the trumpet sounded that the war was over, the people were delighted, hugging each other. They regarded Kater's victory as their victory and Kater's achievement as their achievement. Most stores lowered their product's prices in commemoration of the victory; the rich opened their warehouses to feed the hungry; and the wandering musicians reenacted the glory of the caters with their flamboyant speech.

And it was said that Kim Taehyung was the hero of the war. The cruel and ruthless god of war. When the black flag representing his army fluttered, the smell of blood arose. When he wielded a knife, his allies held their breath and lowered themselves. The more he cut, trampled, and killed soldiers without mercy, the more the people of Kater praised him.

He won't stop the knife under any circumstances! He's slitting a few people's throats on his own! Several rumors that may be true or false had been added to make him appear as a more brutal and elegant monster. Some accused Taehyung of being devilish and ruthless, but the accusation was often buried in the public's cheers.

'Maybe he got better...' That was what she wished, at least. A cheerful voice penetrated the ears of Jimin, who was absentmindedly thinking about him.

"Jimin! The master is finally coming back!" Hoseokie, who was holding a mop, made a big fuss. A little less than five years after working in this house, Hoseokie was about the same age as Jimin. She couldn't see her often because they usually work in different areas, but they could be called friends.

"Is the war over?"

"I guess so. I can't wait for him to come back! The owner was always strong and good looking, so he must have gotten more handsome. But he's a little scary, isn't he?"

Strong and good looking... Jimin went back in memory lane with those words. A man showed his face among masked men. Dark colored hair and blue eyes came to her mind first. The angular jaw and the sleek nose gave a strong and impenetrable feeling, but those clear eyes were sharp like a light-weighted blade. He was a handsome man, but his eyes were as cold as ice, giving him a heavy sense of intimidation.

"Can I help you?"

Jimin, who recalled his voice, flinched. Working as a maid in this house was hard work, but it was, at least, better than being with that old noble.

Maybe he wasn't as bad as people talk about him for saving her from there. Jimin smiled vaguely. As Hoseokie said, he might have gotten better. She became a little curious.

Her master might have changed.

"Shall we go see the parade?"

"I need to sweep the floor a little more. Let's go after this."