Chapter 24: Love and Doubts

Start from the beginning

Banni froze when she heard Kabir's joke. Memories of the past flooded her mind, and she felt a knot in her stomach. She remembered the many times when she had felt helpless and alone, her emotions tossed aside like they meant nothing.

She recalled feeling like her emotions and feelings didn't matter to Kabir, when he treated her like she was less than nothing. The wave of despair washed over her once more as she recalled those moments.

"Yuvaan didn't even recognize Banni, Papasa! Do you know why? Because Yuvaan would never have loved a girl like Banni if he was sane. They are incompatible and would simply suffocate each other."

"You need to understand Banni Chow, that in reality no man would fall in love with your kind of girl."

Banni shook her head, trying to push away the memories. She knew that Kabir was trying to lighten the mood, but his words had triggered something inside her. She couldn't help but wonder if Kabir still felt the same way about her if he still thought of her as a burden.

Kabir's chuckles died as he saw the pain etched on Banni's face. He cupped her cheek and looked into her eyes.

"Banni, what's wrong?" he asked softly.

Banni looked at him, her eyes filled with anguish. "Kabir," she said hoarsely, "am I really that bad? Do you need a break from me? Do you... Do you regret marrying me... Loving me?"

Kabir's heart sank at her words. He had never meant to hurt her. He pulled her closer and held her tightly, feeling her pain. "No, Banni," he said firmly. "You're not bad. You're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was just joking. I didn't mean it like that."

Banni tried to believe Kabir's words, but her body wouldn't stop trembling. She could feel the memories and fears overwhelming her and started sobbing hysterically.

"I can't lose you, Kabir," Banni cried out, her voice choked with emotion. "I can't go through that pain again. I can't bear the thought of losing you, too."

Kabir embraced her tightly, sensing her anguish and apprehension. "No, Banni," he said firmly. "You're not going to lose me. I'm not going anywhere. I love you, Banni. I always will."

Kabir felt his heart ache as Banni sobbed in his arms. He knew that Banni had been through a lot and didn't want to add to her trauma. He realized that this was the second time Banni had panicked and gotten hysterical in a few days. The first time had been when he had spoken about ceding control to Yuvaan.

Kabir knew this couldn't be a coincidence and that some more profound trauma was being triggered here. He resolved to speak to Dr. Sandeep and Dr. Shobha about this, wanting to help Banni heal from her trauma, whatever it may be.

After some time, Banni's sobs subsided, and she tried to apologize. "I'm sorry, Kabir," she said softly, wiping her tears. "I don't know what came over me. I...I just got scared."

Kabir cut her off, feeling guilty for his insensitive joke. "No, Banni," he said firmly. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have joked like that. I didn't mean to trigger you. I love you, Banni. You're not a burden to me. You're my life, my soulmate, and my everything. I promise I'll never hurt you like that again."

Banni looked up at Kabir, her eyes filled with doubt. She wanted to believe him, but the memories of the past still haunted her. "Kabir," she said softly, "do you really mean that? Do you really love me?"

Kabir cupped Banni's face, looking deep into her eyes. "Yes, Banni," he said firmly. "I really mean it. I love you more than anything in this world. I'll never leave you alone again, I promise."

Banni looked at Kabir briefly, trying to gauge his sincerity. She could see the love and concern in his eyes, and slowly, she relaxed in his embrace. She took a deep breath and whispered, "Kabir, I know you'll have to go away when Yuvaan comes out. And I know you'll be with me somehow, but I can't bear the thought of losing you."