Chapter 16: The Forgiveness Process

Last Time: Dr Sandeep took a deep breath before answering. "It's not that simple, Banni," he said gently. "Yuvaan's healing process is delicate, and we need to make sure that we take everything into consideration before we make any decisions. But the fact that they were able to successfully communicate and work together to pull off a consensual switch is definitely a positive sign. If they keep progressing, one day, you can meet Yuvaan again."

---------------------------------------

February 11th, 2023, 11:30 am, Jain Counselling Centre, Jodhpur

"What are you thinking about, Kabir?" Sandeep asked gently.

Dr Sandeep had been watching Kabir as Banni and Shobha left the room, leaving Kabir alone with him and had noticed that Kabir seemed lost in thought. He stared into space, his eyes unfocused and his hands fidgeting on his lap.

Kabir tried to wave it off. "Nothing, really. Just processing everything that's happened."

Sandeep knew that Kabir was not being entirely truthful. He had been working with Kabir long enough to recognise the signs when something was bothering him. He decided to probe a little further.

"Kabir, I can sense that there's something on your mind. Is there something you'd like to talk about?"

Kabir hesitated for a moment before answering. "I'm a bit worried about Banni," he said finally. "The last few days have been really hard on her, especially yesterday with everything that happened."

Sandeep nodded understandingly. He knew that Kabir cared deeply for Banni, and he wasn't surprised to hear that he was worried about her.

But he also knew this was only part of the problem for Kabir. "I can sense that there's more to it than that, Kabir," he said gently. "I want to help you, but I can only do that if you're honest with me. What else is bothering you?"

Kabir was silent for a moment; then he h, hesitantly started speaking. "Doctor, you were saying that... that Banni can meet Yuvaan again..." he trailed off, unable to continue.

Sandeep gauged what Kabir wanted to say. "Yes, that's right," he said gently. "If Yuvaan continues to make progress, there's a chance that he could come back and take control for a while, allowing Banni to meet him again."

Kabir nodded slowly, but Sandeep could see something still bothering him.

"Is there something else, Kabir?" he asked gently.

Kabir hesitated before finally speaking. "I just... I need to know if that means that I'll have to go back... back into the darkness," he said, his voice barely above a whisper.

Sandeep watched Kabir carefully, taking in the emotions playing across his face. He knew this was a problematic situation for Kabir, and he wanted to help him in any way he could.

"Kabir," he said gently, "do you want to know if there's a chance that you could be trapped inside the darkness forever if Yuvaan regains control?"

Kabir nodded shamefully, and Sandeep could see the pain in his eyes.

"I need to know, Doctor," Kabir said quietly. "I need to know what could happen."

Sandeep nodded understandingly. "There is a very small chance, Kabir," he said gently. "But we're doing everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen."

Kabir looked like he was about to burst into tears. "I just... I don't want Yuvaan to be trapped inside either," he blabbered. "But the thought of never being with Banni again, or never seeing Atharva grow up, is devastating. I know this is selfish, that Banni and Atharva are probably better off with sweet, forgiving Yuvaan who will never hurt them even accidentally but..." He shook his head, unable to speak further.