Chapter 1

"Cassie!" my mother screamed from upstairs in her bedroom, "You better not be late for school again; I don't want CPS comin' over again!" I swiped my ratty backpack off of the kitchen table and rushed out the front door. I made it down the driveway before looking back and sighing at the dark green paint peeling off the door.

The tiny yellow school bus came into view as it rattled down the unpaved road. When it finally stopped I climbed in, sent a small nod to the bus driver, and took a seat in the front. The back of the bus was filled rowdy preteen boys, the middle seated all the elementary students, and the front was filled by me, and the bus driver of course.

I leaned back in my seat and stared out the window, longing for a car of my own. I was the only seventeen year old in my small town without a car to call my own. My mother chooses to spend all of my late father's life insurance on alcohol to escape her pain of losing him, of losing my brother, so I'm left with nothing but worn clothes.

After getting to school and leaving the bus I walked to my locker. There were people bumping into me the whole way. At school I was invisible, much like with my mother. The only people who paid attention to me are my mother's various boyfriends.

At night, when she's drinking, and arguing with her toy of the week, I lie y

awake and imagine a place with no adults, a land filled with freedom.

School dragged on, English, followed by Spanish, then lunch, and lastly P.E. Since this is my senior year I get out early. After school, I started my walk home, and after 4 miles I returned to the place I begin all my days, in hell. I walked inside my house and attempted to rush to my room upstairs when I was roughly grabbed by a man. I spun around to see who he was, and when I saw his face I froze.

It was such a familiar face, his face appeared in my nightmares every single night. His expression the same then as it was now. Lustful. I whimpered as I recalled what he did to me, what he took from me. My reaction to him made him smirk.

His other hand, the one not gripping my arm, began to slowly creep up my thigh. I wanted to scream, but I knew better. Screaming only makes it worse. Soon though I could hear my mother's footsteps returning. He heard them too causing him to roughly shove me away. Taking that as my cue to leave I rushed upstairs to my room and locked the door.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Comment and Vote <3