Chapter Twenty-Eight | Funeral

Malia and Nelle stood amidst the somber crowd gathered at the funeral of the young witch, Naomi. The air was heavy with grief and the scent of incense. A mournful song played in the distance.

The deceased witch's mother paced the ground, biting a nail. The pain of losing her daughter was driving her mad. Her youngest daughter stood alone, eyes concentrated on the ground.

Malia and Nelle looked at each other. Silent understanding passed between them. They stood and made their way over to the young girl.

"I'm so sorry, Savannah," Nelle told the girl as they got near.

"This type of loss is one of the most difficult things you can go through," Malia told the girl. "I know. If you need anything at all, my name is Malia, and I'm here for you."

Savannah nodded, wiping the tears from her eyes. 

Nelle brought the girl in for a hug and Malia put a comforting hand on her back.

"Where's Birdy?" Savannah sniffled.

"They're picking up some flowers. Don't worry about them."

-

"Woah, you look like you just came from a funeral," Ellie hugged Malia.

Malia tilted her head, shoulders dropping.

"I did."

"Oh," Ellie's smile dropped. "Who's?"

"This girl, Naomi. She was Nelle and Birdy's friend," Malia explained. "I went for moral support."

"That's tragic. What happened?"

"Oh, um," Malia wasn't sure what to say. "Animal attack, I think."

"Animal attack?" Ellie sounds surprised. She turns her back, looking around the apartment. "I guess there are all those wolves in the bayou."

"Yeah. I guess."

"Or, you know," Ellie turns around. 

Her hand caresses the vase on the table. It still had the dried flowers Klaus had given Malia weeks ago. 

"It could have been the vampires."

Before Malia has a chance to react, Ellie swings the vase around and smashes it to the side of Malia's head. The girl crumples to the ground, unconscious.