Chapter Twenty-Six | Loss of a Witch

"I'm never going back there again," Malia told Nelle, sitting across from her at the cafe a few days later. 

"Good," Nelle brushed a curl behind her ear. "You're better off without them."

"Have you found anything out?" Malia leaned forward. "About me?"

"Not yet," Nelle sighed. 

Malia slumped back in her chair.

"I'm just a freak of nature."

"You're not," Nelle laughed. "Vampires are. And the hybrid."

"Hybrid?" Malia raised a brow.

"Yeah, they really didn't tell you? Klaus isn't just a vampire, he's part werewolf as well. A hybrid."

"Of course he is," Malia grumbles. "Will the secrets ever end?"

"Look, M. I'm not going to keep anything from you ever again. I only did it in the first place because I didn't want to sound like a crazy person."

"Yeah, I know. Thanks," Malia smiled softly.

Nelle's phone started ringing and she looked down. She smiled at the screen and then showed it to Malia. Birdy.

"Hey babe, what's up?"

Nelle's smile instantly dropped. Malia could hear a frantic Birdy on the other line.

"Hang on, I'll be right there."

"What's wrong?" Malia frowned. 

"It's the vampires," Nelle said. "They've been harassing witches in the Quarter since the killings started. Come on."

When the two got to the street Birdy had called them to, a crowd had already formed.

"My coven," Nelle told Malia. Her expression dropped as they got closer. 

"Oh my god."

A young witch was sprawled on the ground, eyes open, deep bite marks on both sides of her neck. She was dead. Over her, a woman sobbed.

"We'll find out who did this, Yara," a man assured the sobbing woman. "We won't let the vampires get away with it."

"You're here," Birdy approached them, their arms instantly wrapping around Nelle. They had clearly been crying. 

"What happened?" Nelle says in shock, tears pricking her eyes.

Malia stared down at the dead girl, horrified by the sight. 

"Move! Get out of the way!" the crowd parts to let a teenager cut through. She stops inside the circle, dropping to her knees. "Naomi?"

"The vampires are out of control," Yara cries, holding her oldest daughter in her arms. "They must be stopped. This must end."