Chapter Fifteen | Failed Escape

"Ghosts in a House" by Pradip Chattopadhyay

Malia woke in the early hours of the morning and decided to make her escape. She wasn't sure if the vampire thing meant that they were nocturnal, but she needed to try at least to get away from this. 

Her bare feet touched onto the cold hardwood floors. She glanced around for her shoes before finding them at the foot of the bed. With her heels in hand, she quietly opened the door.

When the door creaked, she winced. Admittedly, after the first encounter with Elijah and this world, she had gone home and searched the Internet for everything she could find on vampires. Also, she had a vague understanding of Twilight. 

There was so much information, and she wasn't sure which of it was true or not, but they might have super-hearing or something like that. From what she'd seen so far, she knew that they had super-speed, fangs, and some sort of mind control that didn't work on her for some reason. But the sunlight wasn't really a problem. 

She went downstairs as quietly as possible and was about halfway to the door when Elijah appeared by her exit. She jumped.

"Leaving so soon?" He asked.

"What do you want from me?" She sighed.

"Nothing from you, specifically. I just want to know why compulsion won't work on you." 

"Why do you want to mind control me so badly? You two want to take my memories away."

Through the windows, the sky is starting to turn a lighter shade of blue as the sun begins to rise.

"If you let me leave," she tried to bargain, "I'll never tell anyone. I don't want any part in this, whatever it is."

"Yes, well. Unfortunately, you already have a part in this. Because if you're able to resist compulsion, it means that either you're a witch," Elijah stepped in front of her, searching between her eyes, "or something else entirely."

Malia steps back, creating distance between them.

"I told you, I'm just a regular person. There's nothing special about me." 

"On that, I'll have to disagree."

Elijah takes another step forward. This time, Malia holds her ground. She sighs.

"If you won't let me out of this, then you'll have to tell me more about what 'this' is."